Scale Problems Importing DXF file

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
Paul_J
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Scale Problems Importing DXF file

Post by Paul_J »

Hi, new guy here. For the last few months I have been helping my neighbor who owns a CNC Plasma machine. It's brand new but three years old and I've just got it up and running. I'm having a problem with a DXF file I created using Double CAD which is basically AutoCAD LT. When I imported the DXF file the scale is way off. Their machine is a 5 x 10 and the part I imported shows up about 4 times larger than the size of the table. I know I can scale the drawing in PlasmaCAM but is there a way to just get it to import at the correct scale. This item is critical that it be the correct size. Any help would be really appreciated.

Paul
Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Scale Problems Importing DXF file

Post by Larry83301 »

Your problem is that the file is metric, just convert it to inches and it should be good to go. If it's about 4 times what it should be, scale it times .3937008. This happens a lot when you load a DXF file, not sure what setting causes this. Hope this helps you.

Larry
Paul_J
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Paul_J »

Yes Larry, that is exactly what it is. The dimensions I had were metric so I set the drawing to metric. I'll make the conversion and give it a shot. My membership here Just paid for itself!

Thanks Larry
Paul_J
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Paul_J »

And that was the trick. I pasted the drawing into a new CAD file setup for feet and inches and then saved to DXF. Thanks again Larry
Larry83301

Post by Larry83301 »

No problem, I have been fighting this problem for years. Not every file you get is in inches nor are they all in MM, I have had a couple that had several pieces and one part was in inches and another parts dimensions were metric, this was NOT noted any place on the print, called their plant and was told all the parts were the correct size. I made one of each part and took them to there plant myself to verify sizes, turns out that engineer imported one of the parts into the new file and the dimensions were converted by AutoCAD and never checked. It happens! :D :D

Larry

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”