Windows 10 issue maybe?

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
mad monkey
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Windows 10 issue maybe?

Post by mad monkey »

Hey guys, Havent been on in a while, but my old computer just bit the dust so I bought a new tower. It has the proper printer connection, but the computer and table wont talk. I have a plasmacam dch2. The computer says everything with the port is working, but the plasmacam program says it cannot find a printer port. I am not super computer savy, so thought I would check here before I have to call in a tech! Thanks
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Windows 10 issue maybe?

Post by PlasmaMac »

You might have to go into to your BIOS and change a setting over in order for the computer to ID the port. You can do this immediately when the Windows start screen appears. Give plasmacam's tech support a call, they have walked me thru it before.

Good luck brother,

JAG
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

Axxon makes a parallel port that plugs into your motherboard into the PCI Express slots, that has a high enough voltage (I believe it also requires you to plug into the power supply via one of the pigtails that should already be hanging in there) that communication issues are not a problem. I have a new PC with the Axxon board, and have had ZERO comm issues.

Shane
mad monkey
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by mad monkey »

I will try the bios screen again, been trying but cant figure it out! If that doesnt work, then I will try the axxon idea! Thanks guys!
Craig
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Craig »

I too had trouble connecting my computer to my DHC2. You may have to enter the base address of the card you are using manually. The “Base Address” will be 1 of 2 numbers, 378 (LPT1:) or 278 (LPT2:). Typically Cards default to LPT1: but you might have to try both. Enter the number in the “Base Address” box on the “System Setup” tab of the ”Settings“ window. You might need to try the different EPP settings if you still have problems. Craig Johnson
Craig Johnson
see&see
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by see&see »

I'm using Windows 10 on 2 machines with Design Edge 4.33 and have had zero problems and it's a bit faster than 8.1..

Axxon card in a PCIe slot on a Dell 8700 tower.
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

Craig wrote:I too had trouble connecting my computer to my DHC2. You may have to enter the base address of the card you are using manually. The “Base Address” will be 1 of 2 numbers, 378 (LPT1:) or 278 (LPT2:). Typically Cards default to LPT1: but you might have to try both. Enter the number in the “Base Address” box on the “System Setup” tab of the ”Settings“ window. You might need to try the different EPP settings if you still have problems. Craig Johnson
Actually the address can be almost anything if you are using an add-on PCI card.

The following is from memory so it may not be exact...

Start -> Control panel -> System -> Device manager -> Ports -> Double click on the port you are using -> Properties -> Look for an address such as 0x378 or 0x278 like Craig said. That is what it will be if the ports are built on th motherboard. If you have an add-on card, the address will be whatever three digits are after the 0x.
mad monkey
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by mad monkey »

Got it sorted out! I called plasmacam tech line and it turns out that the software was out of date and not windows 10 compatible. They emailed me the update and all is good! So far anyway, going to do some cutting today to know for sure, but seems fine now!
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

Good to know that you can use plasmacam's designedge software on window 10!

Thanks for keeping us posted.

JAG
stephenmontes
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by stephenmontes »

I have the same issue since plasmacam is no longer supporting dhc machines Is there any chance that you still have the email update from plasmacam. I cant afford the $2000 for the new software yet but I need this to work until then
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

stephenmontes wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:48 am I have the same issue since plasmacam is no longer supporting dhc machines Is there any chance that you still have the email update from plasmacam. I cant afford the $2000 for the new software yet but I need this to work until then
There have been no updates to the old software past version 3.11 but as far as I know it works OK with Windows 10 as well. I have it on my laptop but I've not tried to run it with Windows 10 on the table computer.

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”