need computer for plasmacam

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
i_r_machinist
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

need computer for plasmacam

Post by i_r_machinist »

I am pulling the trigger and getting a used Plasmacam DHC2 table. It does not have the computer with it. I know when we got the Samson at work, there were issues about the computer had to have the printer port output connection and something about the version of windows it would run on. Can someone clear this up for me and maybe point me towards a good computer to get?
Thanks
i_r_
mmentel5
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: need computer for plasmacam

Post by mmentel5 »

it does have to have old styl printer port look for computers with windows xp or older i have fond that port on some vista but make sure compuer has all xp up dates be cause i was told they are not avilable any more
see&see

Post by see&see »

This is an old thread but things are changing so fast in the Plasma table world I thought I'd drop this info in.. The old CPU's with printer ports are fast becoming unable to keep up with the new software.

I just went into this on a new DHC2 table. They way software and tables are trending I found I'd be much better off with a newer computer using a PCi Express port and a scsi ported (printer port) card. It was easy to initialize the table and works perfect with Windows 8.1.

Axxon Computer Corporation has been building Plasmacam cards for about 10 years and they are real helpful with the Plasmacam setup.
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

Plasmacam offers a computer with the ports and cables that is conveniently ready to go with the machine.

If you adding a port to a existing computer, Axxon Computer Corp is extremely helpful:
untitled.JPG
http://softio.com/

JAG
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

I bought the newest tower I wanted to pay for, with the most RAM and biggest HDD and fastest processor I was willing to spend money on. Used a pci express card from axxion. Works like a champ. Had a bug here or there, but they have been resolved to my knowledge (Windows was fighting with the pci card over the keyboard at times).

If I were to do it over, I would go the same route.

Shane
volquartsen
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by volquartsen »

Go to newegg.com.. An u can build a nice computer.. What I did for my dad.. I think he has 700$ in to his
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

If you are just looking for a normal PC with windows 7 go to overstocked.com and check out the refurb PC I got some for less the $100.
DO NOT BUT ONE WITH WINDOWS 64 BIT THE PRINTER PORT WILL NOT WORK.
I have put these on a few table just be sure the pictures image had the printer port and the description says printer port X1
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/De ... archidx=56
PC.jpg
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”