PCM to DXF

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
Karl
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

PCM to DXF

Post by Karl »

Hi,
can anyone give me advice on a file converter to convert PCM to DXF?
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: PCM to DXF

Post by rdj357 »

Plasmacam DesignEdge 4.33 will do it as long as you have the advanced design upgrade. I don't know of any other option.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

A PCM file is Plasmacam's proprietary file format. Any Plasmacam software can input a .PCM file and then can save it by "exporting" as a .dxf file. If you know anyone with a Plasmacam they can do this easily for you.

You can send me the file if you want and I'll send it back as a .dxf.

Jim Colt jim.colt@hypertherm.com
Karl
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Karl »

thanks heaps guys
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

jimcolt wrote:A PCM file is Plasmacam's proprietary file format. Any Plasmacam software can input a .PCM file and then can save it by "exporting" as a .dxf file. If you know anyone with a Plasmacam they can do this easily for you.

True as long as you have 'Advanced Design'.

Just an observation because I thought the same thing but was corrected by someone who didn't have it! :D :oops:
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The older 3.11 from long before Design Edge can save any .pcm as a .dxf. If you buy a stripped machine...such as a GoTorch...then no, you cannot do this. I have owned Plasmacam machines for about 16 years.....always was able to import and export .dxf files. First machine was a model 98-Z, then a DHC2, I also have a GoTorch with Design Edge.

Jim Colt

rdj357 wrote:
jimcolt wrote:A PCM file is Plasmacam's proprietary file format. Any Plasmacam software can input a .PCM file and then can save it by "exporting" as a .dxf file. If you know anyone with a Plasmacam they can do this easily for you.

True as long as you have 'Advanced Design'.

Just an observation because I thought the same thing but was corrected by someone who didn't have it! :D :oops:
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

The Advanced DesignEdge is definitely something that is a lot more fun to use when it come to design work. There are a lot of features built into that will definitely save a lot of time and make short work out of some the more complicated and tedious aspects of design work that you can encounter on the more basic software.

Everything from image conversion, to the parts temples that are pre-loaded as well as the ability to export out into different file formats, such as Dxf (and other formats, as well). Some people even use it to program other machines because of its ability to export g-code and post processing scripts.

If you decide to get the more advanced plasmacam software, I and other folks on here could attest that it will be worth every penny!

JAG
slewis64
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by slewis64 »

I cannot open the complimentary collection 2 ,on my plasmacam software, for paying the $20 membership to the forum. It won't open as .pcm or as .dxf. I do not have the newest expensive version of design edge but the version 3.11 on the house computer and I though the next updated version out in the shed. I hardly have any experience yet of the table because it had not been working since October when we bought it used...Frustrating story...
Anyway I would just like to be able to learn how to use the table so I can finally cut things out for practice and eventually to sell items. I am in Bandera, Texas and would like to find someone nearby that can help. Thank you, Susan
PS is there a way to request emails since I am not on here all the time?
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

Make sure to get your hands on a copy of plasmacams step by step video instruction manual. It makes learning the systems extremely easy and you'll do it in no time! Since your machine is used, you can register it (as the new owners) with plasmacam and then get direct access to the plasmacam owner's community. The owners community is an extremely helpful resource that all plasmacam owners have access to. Also, plasmacams tech support is absolutely terrific and are there to help out, if needed. All you need to do is to call them. These recommendations would be the most effective route to take if you want to be able to get going in no time.

on another note....

Luckily, on any version of the software importing dxf files takes no time at all (see pictures below). It can be donw on virtually any version of plasmcam's software no matter if it is old or new. These type of things are also covered on your plasmacam step by step video instruction manual (make sure to get a copy of it from tech if you haven't already).
Import1.JPG
IMport2.JPG
Import 3.JPG

Regards,

JAG
slewis64
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by slewis64 »

Thank you soooo much! I forgot the "import" instead of "open". The few things I was filled in on last october vanished with my short term memory problems... I did get the collection to open. :)
Now I am having problems with height adjustment after sending everything in to plasmacam and getting some parts replaced. The torch will go down like it is measuring how far off the metal to start, and then it will start ok but keep going down until it is dragging on the metal and not cutting like it is supposed to.... I have basic everything and can't keep putting $1000 here and there hoping it will get better. I heard adding all the upgrades will run around $8000?
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

All of the upgrades are worth it for many folks. There are also lot of people that do fine with the standard set ups. You don't need to speed anywhere close to 8,000 in upgrades to have a really great productive machine. You can have a machine with just a few of the upgrades and have a set up that is extremely efficient to work with. Keep around $1,000-3,000 dollars in mind for future upgrades (if needed). Also make sure to keep in mind that any of these more advanced levels of software will undoubtedly make life much easier when you are producing more, thus will save a ton of time and in the end money Initially, getting some level of automatic height control (basic or advanced) and consider the advanced designedge software. These are the things would be extremely useful to most folks initially. In reality, not every one needs a fully loaded system with features that you’ll never use. Not everyone needs there plasmacam to be able to do 3 dimensional routing, (not everyone works with wood), nor does every need to use an engraver, or need to cut pipe, unless thee are part of the game plan for your business or you’re absolutely loaded and $ is not really of concern. Basically, unless these upgrades are really useful to your enterprise and allow you to make more money, don't worry about them!

I got all of the upgrades that I knew would pay for themselves almost immediately and they have MANY MANY times over.

Good Luck!

JAG
ConcFab
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ConcFab »

If I may piggyback on this topic.... I am having issues with my DXF files that I export from DesignEdge.

I exported a file that I have cut with no issues and emailed it to a friend who uses a different machine and software. When he opens my file, it has thousands of nodes that don't need to be there. It has so much code that it crashes his software. A straight line has nodes about every .100".

What happened to my file between me exporting it and him receiving it?
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

I read somewhere that 3.11 cannot open a .pcm created by DesignEdge. Is this incorrect?
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

motoguy wrote:I read somewhere that 3.11 cannot open a .pcm created by DesignEdge. Is this incorrect?
Correct - in the same way a 10 year old version cannot open files saved by new versions.... like AutoCAD, Illustrator, Corel, etc.

If the person using the current version has Advanced Design then they can export it as an 'old version compatible' PCM that the person with 3.11 (or even older) can easily open.
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

ConcFab wrote:If I may piggyback on this topic.... I am having issues with my DXF files that I export from DesignEdge.

I exported a file that I have cut with no issues and emailed it to a friend who uses a different machine and software. When he opens my file, it has thousands of nodes that don't need to be there. It has so much code that it crashes his software. A straight line has nodes about every .100".

A lot of programs export DXF poorly. They export in line segments (no arcs or circles) so there are hundreds of tiny line segments and nodes. This i an export "filter " problem. I don't know if there are any choices of DXY types to use. I assume there are no other standard vector file formats to chose from.

Segmented DXF files can b e used but its up to the import program to try and smooth out the lines and make it result in smoother motion. There is also the option of bringing it into a drawign program where you can edit it (or even trace it ) using real curves and then export in a format that preserves the arcs.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

ConcFab wrote:If I may piggyback on this topic.... I am having issues with my DXF files that I export from DesignEdge.

It also depends a lot on what program is doing the importing. The files that I export from 4.44 Design Edge work perfectly with SheetCam, RDWorks, VinylCutmaster, Vectric VCarvePRO, and others. What is your arc resolution set to (on your design settings tab) and what program is your friend using?
ConcFab
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ConcFab »

Hey thanks for the info! I never noticed I had messages to read o here til just now.

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”