SOFTWARE

Torchmates software related questions and tips can be posted here
Msyniuk
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

SOFTWARE

Post by Msyniuk »

Does anyone have a recommendation for easy to learn/use software to make/edit projects? we have torchmate and don't have any tech support, we are very green at this as we are just starting out using a plasma cnc machine any input would be appreciated, I can do minor edits and cut ok but the program is insanely hard to self learn with not much for training available
thanks
Michelle
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: SORTWARE

Post by Gamelord »

I would suggest getting a copy of Corel or Inkscape and taking the time to learn how to use them. There are tons of video's on youtube that show how to use all the different tools. There are also posts on here that will show you how to use those programs as well. You can find a copy of Corel X5 or X6 (older versions) on ebay for pretty cheap, usually under 80 bucks if you look around latest version would be around 300 bucks or more. I believe Inkscape has a free download.

I knmow it sounds like a pain right now, especially when you are trying to learn the table as well, but in my opinion, it is something you MUST do in able to get the most out of your table. You can learn to do the basic editing in both of these programs fairly quickly. After you have editited them in either of these programs, just export to DXF, then import into your torchmate software for cutting.

You can do editing and drawing in your Torchmate software but it is cumbersome and can be restrictive compared to the editing and drawing abilities of these other programs.

Also, there is tons of people on here that can help you learn these two programs as well. Just ask. I prefer Corel because that is the program I have been using for many years and am very comfortable with it, I learned Corel before getting into plasma but both of them are similar in features and commands.

Hope this helps.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

^^This guy is amazing at corel. All I can do is an auto trace with it. I personally don't like inkscape either.
I am lost without my torchmate software. LOST. It's super easy to learn and work with. Just play around. I tried to watch the youtube tutorial but i kept falling asleep within 5 minutes.
let me know if you have any questions, I'm happy to help. I'm not a pro at it but I am pretty comfortable using it.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
ben de lappe
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ben de lappe »

Gamelord, as is the norm, offers good advice. The thing is no matter what program you get there is going to be a learning curve. You will need to learn this software and be proficient with it to be successful in this business. I can't offer any advice on other software as I'm totally self taught with Torchmate CAD and to be totally honest with you I absolutely love what Torchmate CAD allows me to do.
Torchmate CAD is not that difficult to learn or operate when you know how the software functions. One thing I like about it, that Gamelord touched on, is the fact that with Torchmate you draw your file in CAD, apply toolpath and save. Open the file in your driver software and you are ready to cut. No other programs needed to produce g-code etc. Also, not sure of the money situation just starting out but learning what you have as opposed to the cost of new software would be a factor in my decision if in the same situation.

Like gamble and many others here I'd be glad to help in any way possible. I'm happy to share any knowledge I may have.
jsd010
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: SOFTWARE

Post by jsd010 »

I have a cheat sheet I give my students with a quick overview of the functions and icons. Shoot me a message and I'll see if it will let me upload the word file.
Josh Dahlem
Ag Teacher
Stanley FFA

Return to “Torchmate Software”