Dxf files download

Torchmates software related questions and tips can be posted here
iron2
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Dxf files download

Post by iron2 »

When bringing in a dxf say from this site I am having issues with them. Do I need to create toolpath as the last time I went to machine after importing it and create toolpath I ended up with the cuts going over twice for each portion of the piece. I guess my confusion is when I bring in a dxf and go to "show toolpaths only" there is nothing there until I create one. Do I need to check and make sure all lines are closed before doing anything else? Thanks for any help.
Homebuilt 2x4 water table
Torchmatecad
Flashcut THC
Hypotherm 45
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Dxf files download

Post by gamble »

I do just file Import and it works. Sometimes there are double lines that need to be deleted and sometimes well a lot of times most of the lines aren't connected. So I have to connect them then weld them and create the toolpath
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
TMC
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by TMC »

It would nice if this turned into a SVG file sharing forum. Seems to have less download issues and much easier to manipulate for ones own cutting scenario. After downloading and adjusting in SVG it's easy to save as DXF. :)
Talbot Metal Crafting
DynaTorch 4x4 SuperB
Hypertherm PMX 85
Corel 7X
Solid Edge
SheetCam

Easton, Maryland
iron2
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by iron2 »

Thanks for the help appreciate it..
Homebuilt 2x4 water table
Torchmatecad
Flashcut THC
Hypotherm 45
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

The reason SheetCAM seems to like SVG better is simply because a lot people are generating or tweaking DXF files in non-cad software. . .

I have never had a problem with a DXF file generated in a real cad program with SheetCAM.

Some of us work in AutoCAD . . . not everyone uses Inkscape, Corel, or whatever . . .

The suggestion that all files could be "ALL" SVG & then converted to DXF would be a problem for many . . .

Also a lot of the big iron has a very closed system that will only accept a DXF file . . .

Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Poh
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Poh »

I think you need to save the file, and when exporting, export toolpaths only...little check box, atleast thats what I have to do

Edit, they told me not to add toolpaths, maybe thats what is going on?
Poh, Stainless is Forever!!!
Torchmate 5'x10' water table,Torchmate 8 CAD
Hypertherm HSD 130
Plate Marker ,Tube Cutter, and Oxy-Acetylene
Miller Dynasty 350
Miller 350 p
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

If you are using the Torchmate software to create your tool paths then the issue may be that you are not deleting the original piece after you create your tool path. What happens is that when you create your male or female tool path on the DXF file, it creates the tool path for you but leaves the original piece as well. Then when you export or save the tool path and load it up in your cutting program, the program sees both the tool path AND the original piece and tries to cut them both.

Once you create your tool path, then carefully go back and delete the original drawing, leaving only the tool path and then save that and load it into your cut program and it should work perfectly for you.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD

Return to “Torchmate Software”