LAYERS

Torchmates software related questions and tips can be posted here
gs123
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

LAYERS

Post by gs123 »

how do you use layers in torchmate cad?
Ive been using the software for a while now making signs and small parts.
but Ive never used layers before. what does it do?
RGR
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: LAYERS

Post by RGR »

I'm sure if it is used you can make a multi colored images, like a sign, to show a rendering of the finished product to yourself or a customer. I never have had to use it for anything, "make path" can do the layering just as easily. I'm not sure if my answer is correct, but it works for me.
kb3gun
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kb3gun »

I use layers for multi-layered parts where I need holes to line up and also to show a customer a rendering.
-Smitty
Torchmate 4X4 Growth Series w/AVHC
Hypertherm PM45 w/ Machine Torch
Miller Syncrowave 210 TIG
gs123

Post by gs123 »

thanks for the reply guys
how would you make 2 different parts and have them on different layers and have the parts holes line up.
that is something i think i could use. any advise would be helpful.
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

in simple drawings layers are typically worthless
i use layers for layout lines, text (not cut), scribe and plasma

the more complicated the drawing the more useful layers become
take a building drawing there will be separate layers for: footing, basement, floor1, wall1, floor2, wall2, roof, kitchen/casework, hvac, electrical, plumbing. the building plans are all drawn in the same file and foot print with each layer representing a page in the plans. layers can be different colors, line types, turned on/off, locked and hidden for different uses

our shop typically cuts the same files repeatedly; i include all the cut info on the drawing and print it out for an operator manual. i use a text layer for informational text that includes nozzle, amps, feed rate, any setup notes and drawing number. another layer for layout lines that might include some dimensions. then of course the cut layer or multiple cut layers for more than one part. the operator knows the cut layer is the one layer he needs to process in sheetcam. i try to keep the nomenclature the same so he gets use to my layouts. we occasionally scribe bend lines that need to be on a separate layer.
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!

Return to “Torchmate Software”