JPG TO DXF

General software related questions should be posted here.
plasmaguy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

JPG TO DXF

Post by plasmaguy »

Every once in awhile I try come across a image that I would like to try and cut. Apparently the first step is to change the rastor image to a vector. This part I seem to be able to do. The second step is to be able to clean it up by editing it and saving it as a dxf file. I cant seem to be able to edit it. I get so frusterated that I leave it for a few months and then try again from the beginnning. I still can't seem to master this. I would use my machine so much more if I could figure this out. The software that I use for drawing is autosketch 9. I have tried tracing in Adobe with little success. My computer seems to have problems running this
Adobe software. Any ideas?
Wine Country
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: JPG TO DXF

Post by Wine Country »

I have been using "Vector Magic" software to do my conversions now. I did a Studebaker emblem yesterday for
some friends of mine. I have been spraying many of the designs I wish to copy flat black. I then place the item on
white foamcore board, photograph it and import the jpeg to my program. The program does all the work automatically
and really reduces the nodes to a minimum. I have attached a photo of the emblem painted black, and will attach a
copy of the as converted DXF to the next reply,as I get a message about the file being too large.This emblem was nickel
plated,and afterwards it cleaned up with some lacquer thinner.
Marty
plasmaguy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmaguy »

Hi Leatherhands,
Should I do that same photo or should I rescan at a higher resolution? I am guessing that the next thing I should do is increase the contrast of the photo. What do you think? Which software would you use to accomplish this?
Brad
plasmaguy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmaguy »

Hi Winecountry,
I suppose that is another way to increase the contrast! I was hoping I could do it electronically/digitally or something. However, I do have lots of black paint.
Brad
Wine Country
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Wine Country »

Hello Plasmaguy, You could accomplish the same thing with black paper and simply trace
the object with a pencil,then cut it out. you would be able to smooth out the curves at the same time. You want to achieve high contrast black and white when scanning or photographing. I cannot submit the DXF of the Studebaker logo due to the file size.
Marty
eibmal
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by eibmal »

Here is something that will help. Download black and white image from google or scan an image. then use plasmatrace software to get a dxf trace. Download the free trace program from http://www.plasma777.com.
You will have to convert your downloaded image to a bitmap before you can use plasmatrace.
Let me know how this works for you.
plasmaguy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmaguy »

Hi everyone,
The frustration is building! Please see attached vectorized file (pdf). Is this what it should look like? I would prefer just a wire frame outline. I managed to get this file created online using http://www.vectormagic.com. Since then I have tried to edit it in illustrator with absolutely no luck. I have no idea what I am doing. The files never seem to want to open and when they do I cannot save them as a DXF that Autosketch will recognize. AAGGGHHH!
Goodnight,
Brad
plasmaguy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmaguy »

Hi everyone.
Here is something else.... I have downloaded a few files from this site and have been able to open them and view them in Autosketch 9. However, I cannot edit them. I think I am going to need a 12 step program!
Brad
eibmal
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by eibmal »

Hi.
Sometimes it takes a while to figure out software. I got a poor dxf conversion from a trace in corelx4 of your part. I then loaded it into my cutting software and redrew it by following the outline. I found the bset commands for drawing was... line and Bulge. It took about 5 min to redraw.
plasmaguy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmaguy »

Hello Eibmal,
What cutting software do you use? Is anyone familiar with OneCNC?
Thanks
Brad
plasmaguy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmaguy »

Winecountry,
That works pretty well. I suppose you purchased "Vector Magic?" I downloaded the trial version to tryout for awhile.
Thanks
Brad
plasmaguy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by plasmaguy »

Does everyone use a variety of software that is available or do people generally have a preference to accomplish this task?
Does anyone else here have a fastcut cnc machine or use autosketch, and or onecnc software?
Thanks
Brad
Wine Country
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Wine Country »

Hi Brad,
I subscribed to the online version at first, but you could not save anything as a DXF file. I used my monthly
subscription credit and used it against the full desktop price. I think I paid $271 for it total. It has helped me
very much. The actual DXF outline is too large to post for some reason, but it is extremely clean with minimal
nodes. Marty
plasmaguy wrote:Winecountry,
That works pretty well. I suppose you purchased "Vector Magic?" I downloaded the trial version to tryout for awhile.
Thanks
Brad
rpage
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rpage »

tracing the part by hand in inkscape, about 3 minutes work. maybe not what you are looking for? maybe so.
jim
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jim »

Hey guys
Here is a real simple and inexpensive way of copying some drawings. Have your picture on a piece of paper, turn it backwards against a window for example so the light shines through. Use a sharpie marker(fine tip) and trace your image, just scan it in and clean up the lines. It is simple but it is fast and effective.
Thanks
Jim (Murals in Metal)
TammyVB
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by TammyVB »

Hi - I don't have a point of reference as to how fast or slow I am at turning a pic or clip art into a cuttable file, but am always open to new ways.

I purchased a pen tablet---Wacom's Bamboo Fun Pad ($200 on Wacom's website). It's a graphics tablet that plugs into your usb and comes with a pen to draw on the tablet with. It has saved me soooo much time in comparison to just using my mouse and trying to trace and cleanup files.

I open the image in either Gimp2(free download online) or PhotoShop Elements. (I prefer Gimp2) Then, I flatten image, convert it to grayscale, then using black and white, trace around the image with my pen on the pen table. I invert the image back and forth until it's cleaned up and then convert the image to a bitmap with the background black.

I use PlasmaCam software, so I import the bitmap into PlasmaCam and finish the cleanup there if there is any left to do.

I did download Inkscape and will try to figure it out after Christmas, but if you have the opportunity, you should really give the pen tablet thing a shot.

Tammy
Jetdctr

Post by Jetdctr »

This is after a few minutes work using MS Paint, playing with the scanned Part image.

Since this did not appear to be a precise part, and close would probably be ok.

I opened the image in Paint, used a combo of the Line and Curve commands to outline the drawing in black. I added contrast using a little white on the shadowy edge.

Saved as Monochrome Bitmap file.

Reopened the new file, Filled and cleaned up the few specks and here it is, in silhouette form.

This is about the easiest no frills program you can use and it works good.
Jetdctr

Post by Jetdctr »

I also Use CorelDraw X3 to do a final smoothing of my converted Black and white silhouttes, prior to importing into My cutting software. It's a great program, but I only use the BMP Trace feature so far.

Return to “General Discussion”