Kerf/Offset Software

General software related questions should be posted here.
slvr98svt
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Kerf/Offset Software

Post by slvr98svt »

So I have searched and haven't found anything definitive if there is a stand alone offset software people are using. I have a Tracker machine from 2010 which I have to send the board back which takes a couple days to do, to get the updated software that has kerf offset.

Well I have been getting by just fine without it until now. I need to cut something tomorrow and am definitely needing the offset function. I do all my work in Solidworks, which has an offset function but it copies the entire piece so then I have to go through and delete all the tiny little lines. Is there an easier way to go about this or does Coreldraw have an option for this? Possibly a trial version of some software I can use until I can get my updates from Tracker?

Thanks,
-Matt
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Kerf/Offset Software

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

I think sheetcam will export a dxf after applying kerf compensation and lead-ins

corel draw has a contour command that works similar to autocad offset command
sodfarmer
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sodfarmer »

Sheetcam allows you to specify the kerf width. I make "tools" for each type of material I cut. You set the pierce height, cut height, speed, and kerf of the consumables. It figures out the offset, all you need to do is tell it whether you are cutting on the inside or outside of a part.
slvr98svt
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by slvr98svt »

Awesome thanks guys. I will see about buying that today and playing around with it.

Thanks,
-Matt
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Your CorelDRAW software will allow you to do that. i saw a thread on this in teh Corel sub forum contained in this forum.
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

in corel draw, you can use the contour command to offset (closed) paths to the outside (by half your kerf width)

a corel contour is a compound object, so you have to break-apart, export the offset path (and keep the original path), there's no easy way to add lead-ins, the contour command can behave erratically so it needs checking and clean-up afterward, x6 added corner rounding otherwise it can create wild sharp pointy corners (and intersections)

so, better to just use cam software (like sheetcam) for kerfs and lead-ins, (not to mention sorting and directionality), it stores and applies your tool settings without impacting the artwork itself, much less trouble...

Return to “General Discussion”