Beyond new to this..

General software related questions should be posted here.
Nickswelding
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Beyond new to this..

Post by Nickswelding »

Hello all ,
I JUST, and I mean just purchased a plasma CNC table and am looking for a draw program to begin. The purchase included a desktop with MACH 3, Sheetcam and bladerunner. I've got a Macbook and was wondering which draw program to begin with and make some simpler stuff? I'm trying to work my way through the manuals and watch tutorials online as well.

Thanks!
Nick
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Beyond new to this..

Post by WyoGreen »

Nick,
Welcome to the forum. A drawing program that a lot of people on here use is Inkscape. It is a free download and works on Windows and Linux computers. It's native output is .svg files, which Sheetcam likes also. Not sure if it runs on the Mac, but it's worth looking into.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

like Steve said Inkscape is free and very easy to use, you can import Jpeg or BMP file and use the trace function to give you a 2 d file for SheetCAM to convert to G-code. It has many tools to draw your own to save, lettering for wall plaques or sign, you can manipulate any thing you have on the screen and then save it. Just remember all things must be in a path mode for you to use it with other programs.
You will find a large number of youtube Videos to help you learn how to use it.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Ryan
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Ryan »

I am fairly new as well. Just delivered my first finished product today. I use Inkscape and QCad. Inkscape is free and easy once you learn it. After a few hours of making things with the tutorials you will be producing your own drawings. I have SheetCam and only use SVG files from Inkscape. Qcad has a free trial that works for 15 minutes at a time then shuts off and must be restarted. The Pro version is $40 I think. I really like Qcad. It is very easy to figure out and use.
Chillian3
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Chillian3 »

I am also a newbie here. And I would like to know about this one. :)
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Nickswelding wrote:Hello all ,
I JUST, and I mean just purchased a plasma CNC table and am looking for a draw program to begin. The purchase included a desktop with MACH 3, Sheetcam and bladerunner. I've got a Macbook and was wondering which draw program to begin with and make some simpler stuff? I'm trying to work my way through the manuals and watch tutorials online as well.

Thanks!
Nick
Nick: It must be a used system because we have not sold a BladeRunner with MACH in almost 2 years. I dunno what apps will run on Macbook but Inkscape runs on Linux, Windows and Mac Os X 10.7
You can still get support on the MACH based Bladerunner via our Support Forum. You need to be a member.

Return to “General Discussion”