Anyone do cad on a ipad?

General software related questions should be posted here.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Anyone do cad on a ipad?

Post by gamble »

Anyone here do it? I was hoping fusion360 would be on the ipad pro but I didn't find much at all. Wonder if there is anything else anyone uses? Got to play with an ipad pro and the pencil and it seemed to work really well. Would be a nice alternative to designing or editing on the go
I already have my 1 laptop with me most days but I am trying to keep work and business separate and don't want to carry around two laptops
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
bhamer62
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Anyone do cad on a ipad?

Post by bhamer62 »

I got a Surface Pro 4 with an i7 processor bout a year or so ago for on the go the added a docking station and dual 27" monitors at home, works for me.... I also keep a lot of my files in dropbox so I can get at em and keep any work or revisions up to date. I hate having multiple revision levels on different computers!! Plus I can get to them on any other computer I may be on anywhere..... The Sufrace Pro has the nads to do work most other things won do.
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by whiskeymike »

I have an ipad pro /w pencil and I haven't found anything useful. There is one simple cad program that might work, but I haven't purchased it to try. It's been very disappointing.
DanM
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by DanM »

You have to have a pc for cad work. No one makes software for a iPad they don’t have the graphics cards or ram to support it. And all the good software is windows platform. They don’t even have Adobe AI for IPad and it is nothing compared to a 3D cad program or a video editing/photo editing program. The surface pro as stated above is your best bet, but it’s a real computer and expensive. You should look at a Lenovo Think Book, they will run anything can find great deals on used ones, but are built like a tank.
Shockercustoms
1 Star Elite Contributing Member
1 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Shockercustoms »

I use a Surface pro as well. Its nice and easy to use and I can use it in my truck as well. I'm planning on upgrading to a new version here shortly as mine is 3 years old.
Rough-n-Ready
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Rough-n-Ready »

Some people's bias and ignorance is showing here. :roll:
There's quite a few nice apps though for cad-type stuff. So far this is the software I use the most on my iPad for making my designs:

There is a Fusion 360 app, but so far it only lets you view and annotate designs, not edit them.

For doing straight up 2d cad there is autocad. It can load and save dxf files, and edit and create them. There's a free demo too so you don't have to pay to try it out.

For more artsy stuff with vector art, 'Graphic' by Picta is excellent. Basically adobe illustrator or inkscape for the ipad, with great apple pencil support.
Concepts is another vector art program, that even has DXF export.

Shapr3D is a pretty amazing 3d cad software built for ipad pro, but i'm not sure if it is very useful for sheetmetal stuff, and it's expensive.

Additionally, there's Duet, which lets you use your ipad pro like a wacom tablet. Your ipad become another screen for your mac or pc, and you can use the pencil to control it. This way I can use apps like the full fusion 360 with my ipad and pencil (as long as im connected to the computer).

Hope this helps
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

If you want to use a tablet, have a look at the cloud based onshape https://www.onshape.com/
The CAM side is not there but you can export a model to fusion360 or output a DXF and deal with it in sheetcam.
A mate of mine has done some pretty amazing stuff in onshape and has still not paid them a cent.

Return to “General Discussion”