dxf distortion

General software related questions should be posted here.
Sawdustcreek
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

dxf distortion

Post by Sawdustcreek »

Am having a problem with the dxf's of curves distorting into angles. I use this forum to acquire dxf's for my vinyl printer, as i don't have a plazma cutter. It may be a function of the cutter software, but has anybody else had this problem? Thanks in advance
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: dxf distortion

Post by motoguy »

Likely a software issue. Inkscape is a free software program. Use it to see if you can convert to .svg, and see if your printer likes that better.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
Sawdustcreek
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Sawdustcreek »

will try...thought it was software related....just lookin for more ideas...thanx
RobinHillMachine
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by RobinHillMachine »

Some AutoCAD settings change curves to straight lines. It has to do with what settings the person saved it as. The lower the R setting, the more broken the curve settings will be.

The way to fix it is to import into your CAD program, combine all, convert to curves if needed, and edit the files to make the lines curves again.

If you find a file on here that offers an SVG version, download the SVG instead of the DXF.
Julie's the name, DXF is the game. http://robinhillmachine.com
Email DXF@robinhillmachine.com
thatboystevo
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by thatboystevo »

In autocad use the regen command and it will fix it
ovrrdrive
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ovrrdrive »

I found a fix for this a while back and posted it... I'll copy it in here. This works in Draftsight and Acad that I know of. Should be the same in any Acad based program.

Type in viewres at the prompt an set it to 20000. In draftsight I just typed viewres 'enter', then it asked if I wanted fast zooms I said sure, then it asked for the setting which I put in 20000 for. That fixed it.
Tugdriver
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Tugdriver »

I have similar problems with my software. I use Trutops as that is the program that came with my company's Trumpf laser. From what I notice it seems to get confused on "splines" or any time a radius changes. I also would like a way to convert it to a "splineless" dxf. My laser software doesn't recognize .svg or .pcm.

Does this sound like the issue you have?
Here is a file that I remember was a problem.
iknow.jpg

Return to “General Discussion”