Hypertherm Pronest versus....

General software related questions should be posted here.
westtxrocket
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Hypertherm Pronest versus....

Post by westtxrocket »

Hi all,
We are about to purchase hypertherm pronest, and are wondering if there are any other brands to look at. Pronest seems to have everything we are looking for. We will be replacing sheetcam, which is universally hated by our guys. And hopefully replace our cad software for the simple stuff that we do most of. Thanks.
Bigrhamr
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Hypertherm Pronest versus....

Post by Bigrhamr »

Pronest rocks. And Hypertherm is great about setting up a free demo, then holding your hand through installation and training. Anytime you need help they answer the phone or get right back on emails. When I tried to get a demo from a competitor I couldn't even get a call back.
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

We were working with Hypertherm CAM on posts for Mach 3 and Linux and theyhave been out now for a short period of time. One thing Hypertherm's Pronest will do for you is nest much faster and more complete than you could do in sheetcam. However what it will not currently do is allow you to ramp up and down air pressure and have the same cut rules you use with CandCNC's DCC serial port connection system (With Sheetcam integration). One customer said somehow he got better cut quality using Pronest versus Sheetcam. This was from a seasoned operator.

With Pronest you pick your parts, how many and do a 1 click nest...it is almost that simple. It is very powerful, very efficient software.
bbkf2009
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by bbkf2009 »

I use fast nest, not sure on the advantages/disadvantages over any other software but I'm very happy with it. Very easy to use, just list your sheet size and all the parts you wish to cut and their count. Worth a look
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

Who here is using Pronest with CommandCNC / CandCNC linux?
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
nalin400m
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by nalin400m »

I 'm also a ProNest user with Mach 3 on a 4x8 Bulltear for those with specific questions.
Nalin Manufacturing, LLC
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Bulltear Starlab 4'x8'
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

The version of Pronest determines what "features" you get versus want and what you need and are doing with your. table. You cannot have predefined toolsets that have the DTHC settings. If you have the RS485 Hypertherm option most version slack the ability to use it and to control the cut current dynamically or the air pressure. You can set these things via the CommandCNC screen but not change them from G-Code. You or your crew will have to manually change things when you change cut parameters. The auto DTHC ON/Off and the ability to turn it off on small features and holes may not be available. No cut rules for complex jobs. . You cannot use a plate marker or a router. For pure plasma production cutting with trained operators it will be worth the price

Biggest advantage of SheetCAM besides cost is the open POST language and the documented API that lets a developer or programmer easily put in features via the POST language that alter the user interface in SheetCAM. SO when new features are needed its quick and cheap. Being able to add inputs and stored settings in SheetCAM is a 1 hour job.

For 70 bucks you can add Rotary Plasma cutting to CommandCNC via a plugin for SheetCAM. For a little over 250 you can add a pipe joint design plugin for SheetCAM. Then you have Scan Anything.....

One vendor that used to advertise that their tables came with a version of Pronest have quietly switched to SheetCAM to support the Options they wanted to sell.

So for a pure plasma production/job shop that cuts tons of metal and has a lot of nesting to do Pronest would "rock". Less clear if there is a justification for smaller shops. decorative cutters, or mixed cutting applications.

Sometimes a better. more expensive tool (and we ALL love tools!) will not produce better results than learning how to use the ones you have.

Just my biased opinion as a custom POST author for SheetCAM and support since its early introduction. IF I am incorrect about any of my statements then I stand open for public correction.
nalin400m
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by nalin400m »

motoguy wrote:Who here is using Pronest with CommandCNC / CandCNC linux?
Currently have my controller at CandCNC getting upgraded to Command CNC.
Nalin Manufacturing, LLC
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Bulltear Starlab 4'x8'

Return to “General Discussion”