Files on here- help!

General software related questions should be posted here.
JanssenWelding
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Files on here- help!

Post by JanssenWelding »

Can someone help me step by step of loading a file from and resizing on inkscape or somewhere here to sheetcam then making G code so it will cut. Very new and table manufacturer is no help!
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Files on here- help!

Post by acourtjester »

First so you know some files posted here will not open in Inkscape, (some differences with the DXF format). To work around this I have downloaded QCAD (free), for files that don't open the Inkscape I open them in QCAD and then save then from there using a different name (just add an A to the name). Also with Inkscape you open DXF files and import bmp files. In inkscape to resize a file you look at the menu bar and find the "W" and "H" dimension boxes, there is a lock icon there shown in an open position. Click on it to close it, then change one of the dimension, the other will follow to keep the aspect ratio the same. It seems it is better to save your file in SVG but DXF works well too. When you import the file (SVG) into SheetCam make sure the scaling for SVG is 1:1 this will keep your size correct in relation to the drawing size.
You can now start to plans you cutting operations to generate a G-code, you will need to know what post processor to use for your table.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “General Discussion”