CAD/CAM software help

General software related questions should be posted here.
stuk4x4
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

CAD/CAM software help

Post by stuk4x4 »

I have been looking around for a good software product to use for my shop. This is what I am looking for software to do for me: I want to construct good 3D drawings/plans to use on the manual mill and lathe, I want to be able to create and visualize my project or job and then be able print out of good drawing to follow, as well as be able to provide a customer with a good professional looking drawing.
When it comes to the plasma parts I want to be able to nest and export a project to a DXF and then upload it into my PlasmaCam and start cutting.
I looked at BobCad, they claim they can generate code for Plasmacam, just not sure about some of the things I have read about the company. Anyone with a PlasmaCam have any experience with them?
Is there such a program that exists that is affordable for a small job shop?
Thanks for any help
Walt
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: CAD/CAM software help

Post by Gamelord »

May be difficult to find one that does both 3D modeling, assembly and presentation ... AND... export to G-code.

For the first part, solidworks would do what you are wanting as far as the design, printing and presentation. It will also export to DXF (and other formats) so you could then import it into your cutting/milling software to generate the G-Code.

Others may have more for you.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
AndrewMawson
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AndrewMawson »

Fusion 360?
4x4 DIY Plasma Table
Hypertherm PM45
Purelogic THC
Mach3
Sheetcam
Inkscape
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Hi Gamelord

Interesting choice of CAD software Solidworks :o
I am making the assumption that your recommendation is not based on cost :shock:
or am I missing something on how to obtain a cost effective version of Solidworks :?:

Based on cost I would probably recomend "Solidedge 2D" its free to download and
Arclight have made a couple of instructive videos on using it for plasma

This is only a comment and in no way should it read as a contradiction to your post,
just seems at the moment there are a few of those posts floating about on the forum at the moment :!:
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
stuk4x4
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by stuk4x4 »

AndrewMawson- Have you had any experience with Fusion 360? I have seen a couple people on YouTube using it.

Gamelord- I have looked at Solid Works, I know they have a student copy and I will be enrolling in classes late this year, so that may be an option for lower pricing.

Exapprentice- Thanks for the info pointing to Solidedge 2D, I will look at it.

I will update this when I find what I am looking for.
Walt
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Hi Walt

just be aware that the educational version of Solidworks is time limited and not sure if they inserted any other restrictions for the student version.

Believe me I have tried many ways to obtain a cost effective working version of solidworks for a while and yes at a ripe age of nearly ?? I even had a student version until it timed out.

so all the effort you put in to learn new software just goes pooff and you start again :(

I did have until recently !!! Solid Edge V15 that was until my hard drive crashed out, good job I did back ups but I am still trying to recover my solid edge license file so I can re-load the software again :cry:

Hence that is why I suggested Solid Edge 2D as that is what I am using as a stop gap (also its the only programme that can read the solid edge native .dft files) which I have loads and loads of from many years of drawing.

each to their own choice it all depends on how you get along with the software and how long and how proficient you end up running it ;)
Best Regards to all
(Pete)
AndrewMawson
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AndrewMawson »

I have Fusion 360 loaded up and have played with it and even made parts using it's Heidenhain post processor on my TNC355 controlled mill. To be honest the vast majority of my work is 2D or at most 2.5D.

Fusion 360 is very comprehensive and is developing fast. As I'm a hobbyist it's free for me - I've just renewed my free subscription having apparently had it for a year - don't time pass quickly when you're having fun !
4x4 DIY Plasma Table
Hypertherm PM45
Purelogic THC
Mach3
Sheetcam
Inkscape
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

You can get a full working version of solidworks 3D for less than 4K. Yea, a little more price than the others but it is the only thing that I know of that is capable of doing everything that was requested. I don't know of any other 3D modeling program that does what Solidworks does and does all the other requirements that was asked about for cheaper.

Personally I don't think you would need any more than CorelDraw.....that's all I have needed for the last 8 years. :)
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate CAD
stuk4x4
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by stuk4x4 »

All-
Thanks for the in-depth feed back.
My wife is running Corel draw for her Vinyl Business. I guess I better look at it a little deeper.
Thanks again
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

if you think about it, Vinyl cutting and plasma cutting have a lot in common. Its all 2D contours and you cut out "objects" and you have "drop outs".
You can in fact use most Vinyl cutting vector files to cut with plasma. In Plamsa cutting the advantage of a Drawing program like CorelDraw or Inkscape is it allows you to import a wide variety of vector and bitmap file types and to use any Truetype or Adobe font and easily manipulate it. Most vector art for the sign and commercial market is in forms like AI or EPS neither of which most CAD will import.

True 3D software for doing modeling is a whole step up. If you want something to play with for free then get FreeCAD. It runs in Linux or Windows and its Free. It will do 3D modeling and shading and exports and imports in several 3D formats. Its a bear to learn but there are a bunch of tutorials and videos if you have the patience.

You can have a look at MeshCAM for 3D CAM. Its not super expensive but it only takes certain 3D files and lets you cut them.

Adding a true 4th (or 5th) axis to a CAM software can get pricey.

To do some quasi 3D (relief carving) with a router, look at the products from Vectrics . www.vectric.com They have a cut 3d that lets you generate G-Code from a 3D model. It's not too pricey BUT their full blown drawing and CAM called Aspire is in the 2K range. It will do some interesting things but I would not recommend it for 3D milling. Its nor for decorative sign cutting.

Ain't it FUN!!?
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Careful....as soon as your wife figures out that she can do the same on your Plasma that she can on her vinyl machine you may have difficulty booking time on your plasma table. :) Incorporating plasma cutting with some vinyl decorations can be awesome.

Torchmate CAD
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Hi Gamelord
I know exactly what you mean :( all I did was show of my new plasma cutter and what it could do and that was that :shock:

The boss is now hand cutting everything from garden sculptures to personalised items for "her" customers :!:
She wants to be taught how to mig weld next :? where that heading :?:

To all: beware what you show them :lol:
Best Regards to all
(Pete)
stuk4x4
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by stuk4x4 »

Gamelord, Exapprentice-
I know exactly what you mean she already knows what it can do, she is selling "metal art" at every show she does. I bought the machine to have the ability to cut parts for my machine and welding shop, but whatever pays the bills!!!

Tcuadle- Thanks for all the information, it is fun (most of the time)

Thanks again
Walt

Return to “General Discussion”