editing using QCAD

General software related questions should be posted here.
GobblerArmy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

editing using QCAD

Post by GobblerArmy »

I'm very new to QCAD (3 months) and I'm having trouble editing drawings that I purchased from SignTorch. I want to edit (cut out) a short section of the signtorch drawing. The only way I have figured out to do it is to trace the entire section using the line tool then delete the original or using the spline tool the same way. Is there an easier way?
AdrianH
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: editing using QCAD

Post by AdrianH »

I use QCAD and have recently paid for a licensed version to gave me more options, but I managed with the GPL version for 12 months, here is a tip to try.

I am going to guess that the dxf you have from Signtorch is either using polylines or splines. Not I am not eally sure what they are, but they stop you clicking on one line and just selecting that element. You generally click on what section you want and the whole outline is selected.

Anyway use Select ALL so all is highlighted then from the modify menu click on explode at least twice. I say twice as that usually does it for me, but each time you click explode, it breaks the selected lines into smaller blocks and after 2 I generally find I can then select just the line segment I wish.

Hope that helps

Adrian
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

In Qcad click on Help, click on reference manual, click on index, scroll down, double click on explode, click on display, and follow the directions.
Get used to using this manual, it has almost all the answers you'll come across as you progress farther.
GobblerArmy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by GobblerArmy »

Thank you both!

Return to “General Discussion”