Cad and dxf

General software related questions should be posted here.
OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Cad and dxf

Post by OTHill »

Anyone got advice on Cad? Which ones are good at both mechanical drawing and working with DXF files? Turbocad? Free cad? Inkscape? Draftsight?? Iv'e got Corel draw X6.Not really user friendly for mechanical.
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Cad and dxf

Post by sawdust1 »

@othill
I use QCad Pro. I may not be a good person to comment as it is the only program I have ever used. Friend of mine also uses it and he can make it do some incredible things. I think all cad programs have a steep learning curve. I do like the program.

Dawson is a beautiful part of the country, long time since I was there.

David
home built 4x4 watertable. Qcad, SheetCam and Linuxcnc
Miller 375 Cutmate
Lincoln buzz box and a Miller Mig
KNK MAXX vinyl cutter
The adventure started with a Cricut cutter that I hacked.
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I use SolidWorks, they have a free version. You have to renew your registration every year, but other than that it works good. With that said, I rarely use it, as Corel Draw works fine for almost everything I do. I find that by typing in Square sizes and Circle diameters, along with using guide lines, I can make up drawings that are within the tolerances that plasma can cut.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I use Inkscape and TurboCad and looked at Qcad as with any software there is a learning curve. The terminology seems to be the problem as they have different names for operation used to do things. There are large numbers of tutorial type videos on the web that help and the old lets see what this does process, and the un-do edit key helps in learning. As that Inkscape and QCAD are free how much you can spend seems to be the factor on what you get and use. Some of the high end CAD programs may have more fetchers and quicker doing things after you learn them.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

Thanks for the info.I have recently bought another plasma table and when I get it going my son and his boys are going to use my first table in their shop.I was looking for something more user friendly for them but might just have to go the Corel Draw route.
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
bhamer62
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bhamer62 »

Draftsight is basically a free clone of Auto Cad, I have both and tend to use Draftsight much more often, it's less cumbersome and does a much nicer job on text conversions.

Return to “General Discussion”