CAD for 32-bit Linux - CommandCNC

General software related questions should be posted here.
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

CAD for 32-bit Linux - CommandCNC

Post by Simko »

I just got my CandCNC system hooked up on the bench and I was getting ready to install Draftsight when I saw a note at the bottom of the Draftsight page saying that it is not compatible with 32-bit Linux :(

CommandCNC is only available at this time pre-installed on a computer with Xubuntu 32-bit.

I have been using AutoCAD for about 19-years and was really looking forward to the familiar interface of Draftsight.

Anyways, just a small oversight. What is the next best Free/cheap 2D CAD for drawing up simple parts and making changes to existing files at the table that is similar to AutoCAD? QCAD?

I can still draw the files up in AutoCAD in the house, but I don't want to have to run a flash drive back and forth to make a small change.
Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
Click here for build post
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: CAD for 32-bit Linux - CommandCNC

Post by Simko »

I just installed QCAD and it seems pretty good for minor changes. After using AutoCAD for so long, it sucks to have to hunt and peck for commands when I can draw so fast in AutoCAD with one hand on the keyboard and one on the mouse. I rarely use any icons in AutoCAD because I started back before AutoCAD had icons... LOL

I'm doing some searching to see if I can change the keyboard shortcuts in QCAD to match AutoCAD.
Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

Find a friend or someone you know that is going to college or Tech school and have them purchase you a student version of Autocad. It is full blown version just cannot be upgraded.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by islander261 »

You can always add a windoze partition to the machine hard disk and dual boot. Some older versions of ACAD will run under WINE or a real virtual machine. I don't know if CandCNC installed the Grub boot manager in their distro. I am going through the same thing right now and trying to keep my LCNC machine " pure" for the time being. I do keep all my work on NAS and all my computers are connected to the network here so sharing files isn't a big deal. Your Linux box should have Samba installed so you can work transparently on a windoze network.

John
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

islander261 wrote:You can always add a windoze partition to the machine hard disk and dual boot. Some older versions of ACAD will run under WINE or a real virtual machine. I don't know if CandCNC installed the Grub boot manager in their distro. I am going through the same thing right now and trying to keep my LCNC machine " pure" for the time being. I do keep all my work on NAS and all my computers are connected to the network here so sharing files isn't a big deal. Your Linux box should have Samba installed so you can work transparently on a windoze network.

John
The QCAD install in Linux is very "pure" :lol: All is does is unpack into a directory and make a couple shortcuts. There aren't files that are strewn about all over the OS. If you need to uninstall, it has an uninstall script that deletes the shortcuts and the directory. It's no AutoCAD, but for $28USD, it's pretty impressive. I just miss my keyboard shortcuts.
Steve

Return to “General Discussion”