Just wondering what software you use in your process

General software related questions should be posted here.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Just wondering what software you use in your process

Post by motoguy »

I've just started experimenting with my table, and as such, the associated software. My Bulltear table came with BobCAD-CAM, and Sheetcam.

For the drawing generation/modification aspects, though...I'm just curious what you guys use. Do you use certain programs for certain functions? Or find that just a couple of programs cover all your needs?

I have access to SolidWorks student at this time, so I'm using that for my CAD stuff. I think it may be a better tool to know than BobCAD, due to it's prevalence in industry. I've been following some of the ArcLight videos, so I've downloaded (and using) Inkscape for tracing/manipulation. I've got GIMP on my machine, which I've traditionally used to touch up photos, but may have some usage for the plasma stuff as well.

I'm just curious what programs you find suit your needs the best, and why. Since I'm just starting, it seems this may be a good time to heed the experience of others, and listen to what you guys have found most productive!
Last edited by motoguy on Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Just wondering what software you use in yoru process

Post by WyoGreen »

It looks like you've got the programs down pretty good. Myself, I use CorelDraw for almost all of my designs. I did start out with InkScape but ended up with CorelDraw. From CorelDraw I either export a DXF or SVG file, which I open in SheetCam to set up my plasma cutting options. For the type of stuff I do, CorelDraw just seems to meet my needs pretty well. For just starting out, the programs you have should do the job pretty well. Once you've figured out the type of things you'll be cutting, then you can look deeper into programs that fit your needs.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Just wondering what software you use in yoru process

Post by exapprentice »

I concur with Steve

If you loose the solid edge student edition then you can still download free ;) the solid edge 2D software which the Arclight video's use. Inkscape can be a little figity at times when using DXF's but is still really good considering its free ware ;)
All in all you have basically what you need, just have to master the in's and out's of them :roll: you could spend $K on other software but still end up in the same place, its all down to personal choice :D
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Just wondering what software you use in your process

Post by acourtjester »

The thing I would tell you is use the program that you find to be easier for you to understand since they use different techniques to solve a situation one may be better for you. They all have tricks that you will need to learn but if you try to learn them all you won't know remember which does what and you will spend a lot of time going nowhere. Focus on one and become proficient with it. There are great number of videos that you can view I store many and view them while I use the program together so I learn how to do different thing. With the videos I can view a small section over and over to fully understand what I need to learn.

have fun
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Just wondering what software you use in your process

Post by muzza »

acourtjester wrote:The thing I would tell you is use the program that you find to be easier for you to understand since they use different techniques to solve a situation one may be better for you. They all have tricks that you will need to learn but if you try to learn them all you won't know remember which does what and you will spend a lot of time going nowhere. Focus on one and become proficient with it. There are great number of videos that you can view I store many and view them while I use the program together so I learn how to do different thing. With the videos I can view a small section over and over to fully understand what I need to learn.

have fun
That's what I did with CorelDraw and Steve Good's youtube videos years ago. Went from stumbling through Inkscape to being fairly proficient in Corel within a week or so. Now I use CorelDraw for pretty much all drawing, tracing etc. even all my 2D CAD. Search Steve Good on youtube and watch a few of his videos, a bit slow paced but easy to follow and he uses them to make scroll saw patterns which is very similar to what we need to know.

If you want a program that you can scan a photo of your kids and pull out a cut ready dxf file I had one that the easter bunny brought me but the tooth fairy stole it and I haven't been able to find another one since.
Murray

Return to “General Discussion”