Recommendations on a good "larger" size powder oven?

General software related questions should be posted here.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Recommendations on a good "larger" size powder oven?

Post by motoguy »

I'm getting ready to build a powder oven, and I'm looking for a recommendation for a "good size" to build. My plasma table is a 6x12 unit. What will I be cutting on it/coating? Who knows. Whatever comes my way. As such, I can't really answer the "well, what sizes do you need to coat, and just build to that size!" question. I can say that I don't plan on having powder coating as a separate service...just something to use on the items I create/make.

I'm curious if those of you who do a "variety" of work (not just a couple of similar items over and over) have recommendations on an oven size. Something likely to handle, say, 85-90% of whatever I'm likely to deal with. I was thinking of something like a 4x4x8. Too big? Too small? Just right? If smaller is the way to go, I may just strip down a stand-up freezer. I plan on using an old residential oven for the smaller stuff (cheap, easy to find). So, this would be for items larger than that.

I know this is pie in the sky, but I thought I'd ask for input before deciding on a size and building away.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
Thor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Recommendations on a good "larger" size powder oven?

Post by Thor »

I think that sounds about right. From what I've been reading on the topic myself, it seems that much larger than that and they all seem to talk about switching to gas fired instead of electric. Just be sure to put a couple angle irons in the sides, that way you can slide several racks in at different hts if doing small parts. Coat a bunch at once and bake them all in one shot, rather than lots of trips through a kitchen size oven.
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

The only suggestion I would make and it only relates to how much you want to spend and if money is no object please ignore this suggestion:

When drawing my oven up I based it on readily available standard sized sheets of material, max size of galvanised sheet was the old 8' x 4' and the newer size of 1 x 2mtr
so I made the internal size 1 x 1 x 2mtr and then used the 8' x 4' as the the outside allowing for 100mm of insulation.

As soon as started going a little bigger inside then I started have to have extra sheets,extra cuts and additional joins in the outside walls :(

Only comments based on my own build so far ;) hope it helps
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

One thing to think about is the door size the larger the more heat you loose and the recovery time is longer. Some build tall one and other build long ones. The shape and how you hang the parts may help you decide what size to build I thought I would trow that out there.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

I would like to hang 24"x48" and anything bigger there are several places to have it done, wouldn't want to give up the space. Someday
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

acourtjester wrote:One thing to think about is the door size the larger the more heat you loose and the recovery time is longer. Some build tall one and other build long ones. The shape and how you hang the parts may help you decide what size to build I thought I would trow that out there.
I have about 10' of vertical space, but floorspace (footprint) is limited. As such, I plan on going tall, and not long. I've also been kicking around the idea of making one modular, that can be put up/taken down in a hurry. Latches to hold the sides in place, and pin connectors for running "wiring" from one panel to the next. Put some fireplace rope in between panels as a sealant.

Not sure if it's feasible, though. At this time, I've got other things I need to work on, so I'll probably just build a traditional box and put it on wheels so I can move it when needed. So far, I'm thinking 4x4x8 sounds like the winner, with rails to hang items vertically.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

That sounds like a do-able oven the only load would be just what is loaded into it. Most of the bulk is in insulation I have seen ovens made with the metal studs used in interior wall framing studs (folded metal studs).
http://www.familyhandyman.com/carpentry ... s/view-all
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
bafabworks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by bafabworks »

Here is a website to build a low budget oven
http://www.powdercoatguide.com/2014/09/ ... r6cn1n69Dr
Also has a calculator for how big of heating elements you will need for the size of the oven

Return to “General Discussion”