Inventor best practice question

General software related questions should be posted here.
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Inventor best practice question

Post by whiskeymike »

I assume the same would apply in solid works or auto cad and similar. When making several parts for a grill or in my next case, a cabinet, do you model each piece as a separate part and then organize into an assembly? Or do you lay out the sketches in one part file?

So for instance, I'm building a cabinet so I have 2 sides, bottom, top, rear backing, 3 shelves. Do you create a part file for each side (assuming they are slightly different), top, bottom, and 1 shelf. And then in the assembly add in the same shelf 3 times?

Seems logical, but it seems like having them together in one part file would make things more readily available like parameters such as depth=12", or mirroring the sides,determining the length of the top has to be 3 inches longer to have 1.5 flanges coming down, etc..

If you do that, do you create a DXF for each part as a cut file? or make a drawing?
sodfarmer
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Inventor best practice question

Post by sodfarmer »

I would recommend doing assemblies in one model. With the cabinet if the parts are different they need to be separate. If they are the same you can use them over in the assembly. With everything thing in one model, if you set the constraints right, you could change the size by just changing the dimensions, you wouldn't have to redo the assembly. To get the individual parts as a dxf, you need to save each individual part as a drawing. Then you can save as a dxf.
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

For multiple part items I create all the parts in one drawing/file. I then nest them for best cutting with little waste. That way if I want to cut one, as in your example, shelf unit, I just import that dxf file into SheetCam, apply tools and process to Mach 3 to cut.
If you have an automatic nesting software you could do individual files of each part, import them and then nest for cutting. It really is a matter of preference and what works with your software.
Hope this helps.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by whiskeymike »

Thanks. I'll do that. I've used sketch before and it seemed like you did everything in one file, so I figured there might be something in Inventor for doing that. but it's probably not as hard as I think. I'll give it a shot.
Bigdogbro1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigdogbro1 »

Depends on what the part is. I Solidworks 3D model some of my jobs if they are multiple pieces to get welded together. This way I can assemble the pieces and check fitment in the computer. Otherwise keep the design as a single flat part and cut it in one cut.

Return to “General Discussion”