CommandCNC vs Mach3

General software related questions should be posted here.
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

CommandCNC vs Mach3

Post by Simko »

I was originally set on using Mach3.. In fact, I even built a small CNC using DVD rom parts just so that I could play with Mach3 and SheetCAM and make sure that I had them somewhat figured out.

About 2 or 3 weeks ago, I noticed that CandCNC now has an option for a program called CommandCNC. It appears to be a customized version of LinuxCNC.

What is the scoop on this? Does it do all the same functions as Mach3? Can it run a scribe? How about a rotary cutter? Is it faster or better?

Seeing as how I have only dipped my toes in the water, I am not committed to Mach3 (which is being phased out and replaced by Mach4).

Would you consider running CommandCNC or stay with Mach3?
Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
Click here for build post
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: CommandCNC vs Mach3

Post by sphurley »

Windows/Mach has some latency issues. It seems to get worse every time a "new" version of windows comes out. If your cutting 1/4" and thicker it may not really matter. If you want to cut thin and "try" and avoid the pierce and end cut marks then you need the machine to respond faster with no latency.
You can use cut rules and anticipate what windows is going to do.
As you mention Mach 3 is on it's way out. Mach 4 is much closer now than a year ago.
Linuxcnc is an open source (low or no $$) software that many of the plasma machine companies are going to.
SheetCam supports Linux already.
I wish Tom would have had the Linux version available 8 months ago.
I will be upgrading soon as I am so over Windows. (it does work fine, just a lot of tweaks you have to do)

I'm sure it will run the scribe as the box is almost the same. Just need a post processor to spit out the G-code.
Not sure on the rotary but again I don't see why not. Tom says same specs at the 3500 system.
Faster? Not really the IPM is more a matter of how good your machine is.
If I was starting from scratch CommandCNC would be my first choice.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

LinuxCNC can run the scribe. I use a coolant control to operate my scribe.

Paul
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

Would you make the computer dual-boot to be able to still run design software (AutoCAD, Inkscape, etc) or would you have a second computer?

How would you get files from the design computer to the CNC controller. USB stick?
Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Simko wrote:Would you make the computer dual-boot to be able to still run design software (AutoCAD, Inkscape, etc) or would you have a second computer?

How would you get files from the design computer to the CNC controller. USB stick?
Same way you do it in windows. You can even put the LINUX computer ont he same network as you Windows computers. file formats are the same and G-Code is handled (mostly) the same way except your POST needs to be for CommandCNC. There is already one for SheetCAM

Get on the support forum and you can get all those questions answered and links to the just released manuals
KIDTech
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by KIDTech »

A lot of people do the computer thing differently but for me right now I do all my CAD work on a "beefed" up laptop as well as my CAM work. The only thing on my CNC computer is Mach3. This is my best way right now and a laptop is fine for what I do, when the CNC mill gets in the shop or I get an actual office established I will add a tower to the mix. Another interesting thing I've seen with LinuxCNC is the Mach import tool, which hopefully someone can clear up here (unless I get time to mess with it then I will report back with my findings) but I believe you upload your .xml file from Mach into a wizard and it configures the Linux unit which would be awesome.
DIY 5x10 v rail, rack and pinion
Gecko g540
Pm65 - aka game changer
Longevity ForceCut 42i is sitting on the shelf
Proma THC
ACAD, SheetCam, Mach3
Millermatic 211
NEW HORSE IN THE STABLE:
4'x8' LDR downdraft w/a scribe
Milltronics Partner 2 CNC mill
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

There are CAD programs for Linux. QCAD for one. Also, Inkscape runs on Linux, too. I run SheetCam's Windows TNG development version on Linux using Wine to make that happen. SheetCam does have a version that runs on Linux without Wine, but I believe that version is not the latest. And I do use a flash drive to move files from a design computer to the table.

Paul
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

Downloading LinuxCNC right now to try it out on my mini CNC ... 1.1GB :shock:
Steve

motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Those of you who have tried CommandCNC...what do you think of it?
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Any CommandCNC users who can give feedback?
CPUDoc
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by CPUDoc »

My son and I started building his plasma table (48"x96") in May. We got the CommandCNC stuff Wednesday. We cut our first decent parts tonight. The THC box was set with a 7x voltage multiplier and and his Hypertherm 45 requires a 50x multiplier. After we figured that out, the torch quit pulling away from the work piece. The Hypertherm tool settings do not work very good and we had to tweak them. We have just been cutting 11 ga so far. I have never used any other controller but it seems like the CommandCNC works fine. It would be nice to hook up switches to the exterior of the box, like the motors hook up. We hooked the computer up to the internet and downloaded Librecad. It took my son about 5 minutes from drawing a 5" circle with 5 3/8" holes in it to having it cut out. One irritating thing (and maybe we haven't figured it out yet) is that when starting a run, the torch has to be within 1/2" of the plate or it fails to touch the plate and start.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

For fresh blood...
edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by edclayton1 »

Just got my commandCNC running today on my second home built table. So far I like it but I have lots to learn about it still. So far I cut the straight lines then the squares and circles and stars. Then I drew up some simple flowers and cut those. I struggle with understanding the manuals in some areas but overall the information is all there if you read it carefully enough. I wish they had more training videos for learning how to run the CommandCNC and sheetcam, also more wiring diagrams for the different ways you can hook up the limit switches and the feather touch. I had to jump around a bit to find out how to hook it all up, but it seems to be working. I just left the limit sting jumper on the feather touch and kept my limit switch sting attached to the table I/O. I did wire in the Z home switch to the Aux 1 for a back up to the feather touch. Hopefully it works if it ever has too. I think Im ready to cut something more intricate now to compare this controller to my Mach 3 controller on my other machine.
Home Built 4 * 8 table
Bladerunner
Miller Syncrowave 250 TIG welder
Miller 211 Wirefeed Welder
Bridgeport Mill
Jet 13 * 40 Lathe
Hypertherm Powermax 65
80 gal 2 stage 175 PSI Emax air Compressor
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Looking forward to hearing more about your XP with CommandCNC Ed. I've been on Win/MACh3 for a few years now and gave up on cutting fast thin stuff a while ago. I use sheetcam to control cut speeds but the THC is still a huge PITA to get running with my HT PM45. When I get to my new shop, I'll be building a new table so that's when I'll implement all of the needed upgrades like Feathertouch and CommandCNC.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by edclayton1 »

Hi Capstone. Im wanting to upgrade my hard drive on the refurbished Dell to a SSD drive mainly for the fact i dont really want to be relying on a old 80 gig drive with god knows how many hours on it. That is leading me on a path to learning more about linux and hard drive cloning software for linux this week. As for your statement about the hypertherm 45. I can say on my windows based CandCNC table for some reason life got lots better when i upgraded from a hp pm 45 to a pm65. Not only does it seem to cut much better but it also see ms to be saving me lots of money on nozzles. I have had lots of challenges with the dthc on that machine over the past two years. I am still not positive but i think many of my struggles were from me simply not being knowledgeable in running the software, etc. But since i switched to the pm 65 life has gotten lots better although i dont understand why. Maybe I m just finnally getting better at being an operator by now? Now im back to experimenting on linux with CommandCNC with a pm 45 again so we woll see how that compares.
Home Built 4 * 8 table
Bladerunner
Miller Syncrowave 250 TIG welder
Miller 211 Wirefeed Welder
Bridgeport Mill
Jet 13 * 40 Lathe
Hypertherm Powermax 65
80 gal 2 stage 175 PSI Emax air Compressor
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

Linux on a Star Lab .010 tolerance tracking, 14ga 200ipm and finecut. 20 minutes of cutting action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcAfkxvr8os
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Hi BTA Plasma

Nice work and very nice video :D
Any chance you could tell us what HP that is I am hoping that's a sample of the new 45 XP :?:

could you list your settings and consumables for that set up cause that's some really fancy cutting and maybe even a pic of the finished item would be great to see the finished part 8-)
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
BTA Plasma

Post by BTA Plasma »

Finecut 45amps
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

I like how the air cuts out sooner between cuts compared to the powermax 45, presuming it is the 45XP.
You must be getting close to running in that XP Pete by now ;) :P
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
BTA Plasma

Post by BTA Plasma »

That is a powermax 85 with fine cut