Torchmate or Mach 3

General software related questions should be posted here.
johnd123
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Torchmate or Mach 3

Post by johnd123 »

I am thinking of changing from Torchmat to Mach 3 so I can add a THC to my cnc . I have a hand held snap-on 50 plasma Torchmate says it won't work with there THC witch cost $3300.
CandCNC I can change everything an add THC for about $2200.and have to use Mach 3 to run it. What should I do.How good is Mach 3. Thanks johnd123
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Torchmate or Mach 3

Post by acourtjester »

Works fine for me why don't you download the demo and check it out.
Also so use the posts about Mach3 here for other info.
A Proma THC may be cheaper but CandCNC DTHC-IV :D is best I have used both.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
davek0974
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by davek0974 »

Mach3 has a massive following, its own forum and thousands of users, there will be a learning curve but its fairly easy-going, once your table is talking to Mach properly, its just a matter of loading code and pressing run.
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

There is a BIG differrence between Torchmate and Mach3. Torchmate is a self contained CNC cutting system. Mach3 is a loosely tied together CNC system made up of a lot of parts and pieces and difference software that may or may not get along together. Get teh Mach3 unit all working together and it does a decent job. Get it wrong and you have a nightmare on your hands. The torchmate does NOT have a CNCed Z axis it is basically a 2 axis system with an idenpendant Z axis ccontroller. You will have to add a CNCed Z axis control to your table to run Mach3. AND add teh Z axis mechanism to your table.

CandCNC does have a kit but you still have to learn mach3 and then the Candcnc system as well.

Is this a hobby or a living for you ? I would first talk to Flashcut about your problem , THEY may have a solution for you that would be simple to impliment. They provided teh original Electronics for the torchmate so they KNOW the system well (;-) NOW that torchmate does not use them they are free to help you move UP in the plasma cutting world. Thye DO know their stuff.

IF you go Mach3 it will take time and resources and a steep learning curve compared to torchmate or Flashcut.

I have used both Torchmate and mach3 and many others as well.
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

I have the CandCNC Bladerunner Ethercut system on my 5x5 table... utter nonsense that it may not work together. MACH3 is EASY to learn.
Just follow the directions and it will work the most difficult part will be your motor tuning, to know your steps per inch and steps per revolution with the belt drive reduction etc. I will be retrofitting a Torchmate 3... probably just throw away the gantry altogether and get a new setup...
Have not decided on that aspect yet, but probably a standard duty PPLLC gantry and Z and the CandCNC Bladerunner Ethercut.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Setting up the steps per is very easy in Mach 3 you go to the "settings" screen and at the lower left is Axis calibration. Click on it and it takes you to a procedure for calibrating each axis. You select the axis a box shows up you put a distance in and push enter. The axis moves and you measure how much and enter that in the next box. Mach will then calculate the steps per. repeat about 3 time to refine the calculations and move to the next axis DONE. If you are using CandCNC software go to "view" click on load screens this brings up a folder with "Plasma.set" click on that the screen will blacken for a second and then return with the standard Mach screen. This has the "Settings" page so you can do the steps per calibrations. When done go back to view and when the folder comes aback on click on CandCNC's screen set screen blackens again then its back to your original screen. There are to many using Mach for it to be hard to learn and questions are answered when posted. 8-) the demo download is free check it out. :D
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
davek0974
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by davek0974 »

Exactly, its not that difficult. DO some sums first- find out what motors you have, then work backwards - drive boards, psu, BOB, control system, Mach3

It really is not that hard, i have no knowledge of torchmate so i don't know if you use CAM software like SheetCam?? If not then that will need learning but again its not that bad.

Throw in a Z-axis, a control system like one of the MP range from CandCNC and you're away, i knew nothing at all a year ago and since then I've built two tables and can cut saleable parts regularly and easily now.
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

SURE it is easy ONCE you learn it all. IF hindsight were foresight we would all be wise ones. I have worked with Mach3 and helped new users for over 10 years in all forms of CNC machines AND I do know all the pitfalls you can run into as a new user trying to learn it all at the same time.

THAT is why I asked if it was a hobby or a living. As a living you cannot afford for the machine to be down very long if at all. IS the user technically savy ? That alone can make a HUGE difference.

Just my opinion your mileage may vary (;-). At least you get the OTHER side of the story.

(;-) TP
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

SURE it is easy ONCE you learn it all. IF hindsight were foresight we would all be wise ones. I have worked with Mach3 and helped new users for over 10 years in all forms of CNC machines AND I do know all the pitfalls you can run into as a new user trying to learn it all at the same time.

THAT is why I asked if it was a hobby or a living. As a living you cannot afford for the machine to be down very long if at all. IS the user technically savy ? That alone can make a HUGE difference.

Just my opinion your mileage may vary (;-). At least you get the OTHER side of the story.

(;-) TP
kbenz
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by kbenz »

johnd123 wrote:I am thinking of changing from Torchmat to Mach 3 so I can add a THC to my cnc . I have a hand held snap-on 50 plasma Torchmate says it won't work with there THC witch cost $3300.
CandCNC I can change everything an add THC for about $2200.and have to use Mach 3 to run it. What should I do.How good is Mach 3. Thanks johnd123

I did that same switch 2.5 years ago for the same reason. no regrets
CandCNC
Mach3
Sheetcam
Draftsight
Hypertherm 65 machine torch
Millermatic 210
Passport plus
Spoolmate 150
Miller Bobcat 225
http://benzweldingandfabrication.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Benz-Wel ... 468?ref=hl
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

johnd123 wrote:I am thinking of changing from Torchmat to Mach 3 so I can add a THC to my cnc . I have a hand held snap-on 50 plasma Torchmate says it won't work with there THC witch cost $3300.

OR now you can elect to use CommandCNC on Linux. Even less to learn and setup. Still have to do motor tuning but there are no setting choices for things you may not have or understand. (and you don't have to buy Windows or MACH).

Return to “General Discussion”