Qcad

General software related questions should be posted here.
Johnnybravo
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Qcad

Post by Johnnybravo »

I was looking through the software topics, and there is not a thread for Qcad. Just curious about that.

Qcad came with my table along with Sheetcam and Mach 3. I have also put CorelDraw x7 and Inkscape on my design computer. I'm making slow progress, but have already cut out some neat stuff.
Eagle Plasma 4x4
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Miller Maxstar 150 SL
Corel draw 7, Inkscape, Qcad, Sheetcam, Mach 3
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Qcad

Post by urbnsr »

I use QCAD for almost all CAD work here. Clean, stable, quick and no hoops to jump through on a regular basis.
Bigdogbro1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigdogbro1 »

Unless I need dimensional cut pieces with 2D CAD to DXF out I prefer saving as a SVG file for the artwork items. QCAD can save as SVG for Inkscape which can then be used in Sheetcam. I feel DXF has too many problems.
erik111
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by erik111 »

Bigdogbro1 wrote:Unless I need dimensional cut pieces with 2D CAD to DXF out I prefer saving as a SVG file for the artwork items. QCAD can save as SVG for Inkscape which can then be used in Sheetcam. I feel DXF has too many problems.

I recently bought QCAD because I bought some files that were DXF and I could not open them in inkscape. I saved them as a SVG in QCAD, when I opened it in inkscape it was almost unreadable, the lines were super fat. Any advice?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I use TurboCad and there is a setting for the line width. Maybe QCAD has one also and you have it set to wide.
In Inkscape you can change the line width under "fill and Stroke" "stroke style"
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Bigdogbro1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigdogbro1 »

erik111 wrote:
Bigdogbro1 wrote:Unless I need dimensional cut pieces with 2D CAD to DXF out I prefer saving as a SVG file for the artwork items. QCAD can save as SVG for Inkscape which can then be used in Sheetcam. I feel DXF has too many problems.

I recently bought QCAD because I bought some files that were DXF and I could not open them in inkscape. I saved them as a SVG in QCAD, when I opened it in inkscape it was almost unreadable, the lines were super fat. Any advice?
In Inkscape you need to get into the fill and stroke tool. Zoom out and select the entire object. Make the stroke width about .020" wide. This should make it viewable. You may need to rescale the object as well.
Gustav129
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Gustav129 »

I'm playing with QCad right now. So far I like it. Only thing is it's not the best for importing SVG into.

In manufacturing, we only used .DXF (original CAD drawings), .DWG (CAM work with tool paths), and .TAP (actual CNC coding).
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

How do you weld pieces in qcad?
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

If your referring to polylines, you might want to look at "Create From Segments" (or shortcut: "OG"). If you process through SheetCam, I'm not sure it matters as long as the segments touch.

I don't think QCAD has a Weld command, but could have missed it.

Paul

Return to “General Discussion”