Tube Cutting

General software related questions should be posted here.
jeeplogic83
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Tube Cutting

Post by jeeplogic83 »

Just wondering if anyone is using a 4th axis to cut pipe or tube and how do you like it? I would like to be able to design something in a cad then be able to input the length and diameter of the tube then cut it out. any thoughts?
jeeplogic83
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Tube Cutting

Post by jeeplogic83 »

Let me be more specific I saw on the discovery channel Howe and Howe engineering the guys that make the super fast tube chasis tanks. they have a program that takes the tube out of the drawing a lays it on the x axis then unrolls it and creates g-code based on the angle the tube was on the original placment of the tube inthe drawing this is done on a rotary axis. Has any one seen this or am I crazy.
trucks1948
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by trucks1948 »

I saw some tube cutting videos on utube--maybe you can get some ideas from them.Jim ---i just searched plasma tube cutting
WICKED DIESELS
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by WICKED DIESELS »

I have a Dynatorch with the tube cutter attachment, I haven't used it much and they are developing new programming for it, to ease usability.
fitzy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by fitzy »

check out torchmates web site they have a cool tube cutting attachment.
-fitzy-
It ain't braggen if you can back it up!
bogger44
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by bogger44 »

Don't know your setup but cand cnc had programing that goes with mach3 to use a 4th axis

they design it flat then the machine cuts it out turning the tube plasma route has a lathe head you can buy plumbed for tube cutting
jeeplogic83
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jeeplogic83 »

Bogger, I actually have everything to build the 4th axis. I am trying to learn the 4th axis software that I got from CandCNC but for me there is a serious learning curve. you would think that if I could figure out how to completely convert my PCNC table over to CandCNC , it would not be that much of a stretch to figure out the 4th axis but it's kill'n me. Also I have not figured out my motor to drive ratio on the 4th axis yet. I think it will be 60:1 but I have also seen them built at 90:1 any help would be great.
rock4xfab
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rock4xfab »

I use Bend-Tech 2020 software for all of our Roll cages. It has a function that outputs a wrapper that I can print on paper and put on the tube, it also outputs a DXF that I can input into sheetcam.
pertneer
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by pertneer »

try this site

www.cncwrapper.com

also if you have Bend tech SE you can output the dxf file for the wrapper and import them into cnc wrapper which will then create the 4th axis rotation.

I am also working with the makers of Millwrite that are developing a plasma version of their software and they are incorporating the 4th axis into this version. You can then go from Bend tech(wrapper) to millwrite (to get your g-code) and off to the machine to cut.
4'x8' CNC Plasma w/Water Table Running a Powermax 65 :D
CandCNC, Mach3, SheetCam, Millwrite Plasma V6
bogger44
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by bogger44 »

Bogger, I actually have everything to build the 4th axis. I am trying to learn the 4th axis software that I got from CandCNC but for me there is a serious learning curve. you would think that if I could figure out how to completely convert my PCNC table over to CandCNC , it would not be that much of a stretch to figure out the 4th axis but it's kill'n me. Also I have not figured out my motor to drive ratio on the 4th axis yet. I think it will be 60:1 but I have also seen them built at 90:1 any help would be great.

contact tom through yahoo groups candcnc and he could prob give some ideas to ratio. sorry for the late reply.
pertneer

Post by pertneer »

Tom recommended to me that the best performance for a rotary axis being used with a plasma should be 25 to 1. If I can find the link on his support forum I will post it.
4'x8' CNC Plasma w/Water Table Running a Powermax 65 :D
CandCNC, Mach3, SheetCam, Millwrite Plasma V6
pitbumpers
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by pitbumpers »

Old post but what happened to www.CNCwrapper.com download??
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Dunnon on CNCWrapper but you can get the same thing for SheetCAM by using the Rotary Plasma plugin . Its not free but its only about 65 bucks Does round, rectangular, square and even I beam. You have to be able to draw it in 2D but it wraps it around round or projects on the unfolded square or rectangular

Return to “General Discussion”