Illustrator C6

General software related questions should be posted here.
Marty
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Illustrator C6

Post by Marty »

Hello spiders

When using multiple layers, like when tracing vectors on top of a photo, I have been experiencing a temporary loss of the photo layer, especially after zooming in......I can reload the file and get it back but is becoming a PITA.....the photos have been low resolution like 40kb so I have to think it would be worse wioth a nice clean 2mb photo.....my PC is windows 7, 6 core processor, has 16GB ram, a fast motherboard (cant remember specs but I built it using the fastest components availabale) .....so I suspect the software

I am thinking about getting Illustrator CS6 to use instaed of Corel draw X5......for two reasons...first, I read on a post from pony that the bitmap tracing ability of CS6 is very very good with it.................I also watched the adobe TV video that pony had in his post, ( http://tv.adobe.com/watch/cs6-creative- ... rator-cs6/) and was impressed

Second reason is the loss of layer problem I outlined at the beginning

Even though there would be yet another learning curve to switch to CS6.....new learning curves have always resulted in higher quality production of custom art in less time.....and it keeps my brain exercised!!

Looking for input on any of the above

thanks spiders

Marty
Ignition Metal Art Design

Give a man a fish and you have taught him where to come for a fish; Teach him to use Google and the Search Engine on Plasma Spider and he will be able to learn more than you could ever teach him yourself
DJDHC4X4
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Illustrator C6

Post by DJDHC4X4 »

I use cs6 with design edge (plasmacam) and love. yes it takes a bit to get a handle on it but after you will smile every time.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

I would bet the issue is with your video card. Not sure what you have, but if it is one that came with the computer then usually they only put in the very minimum to get by.

Check your computer performance by doing the following:
Go to your control panel
Click on the "review your computer's status" under the "System and Security" heading.
Click on "View Performance Information" on the left hand side in the list.

This will show you the performance of each section of your computer. Best score you can get is a 7.9

If your video card is anything around or below a 5.5 then you probably need to get it updated. You have two scores for your video card, Graphics (usually the one that effects your drawing programs) and Gaming Graphics (usually 3d graphic processing and gaming). Both of these need to be fairly good to process a lot of heavy drawing files for Corel or Adobe. Nearly 99% of all crashes and slow rendering / usage in Corel are caused by a weak video card (graphics card).
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by whiskeymike »

Are you losing the file in Illustrator? or Corel?

If Illustrator, you might want to lock the layer with the photo which doesn't allow any changes to it. It's a little icon in the box next to the eye box which makes the layer visible or not.

Return to “General Discussion”