How do you guys deal with a drawing like this

General software related questions should be posted here.
Pat4rd
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

How do you guys deal with a drawing like this

Post by Pat4rd »

This is some of Jason's work, I've got his master collection and they are really sweet! But I took this from plasma spider and it tried importing into inkscape. He uses adobe and these softwares don't play nice so it wouldn't let me open it. I then went to qcad, converted it to svg. I then imported the svg to inkscape but now all of these nodes are broke apart :roll: .. where do you all go from here? How do you connect them. I'm trying to put a simple boarder around this, but it will not let me union it because of this. Sorry if this is all confusing; my brain quit working at 1am!!!
Millermatic 252
Hypertherm 45xp machine torch
Eagle 4x4
Mach3, sheetcam, adobe il, inkscape
Proma 150 floating head, Quincy 5hp 60gal, 3 stage dryer.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: How do you guys deal with a drawing like this

Post by tcaudle »

What is the native file format (Adobe Illustrator uses "AI" which is a published file format with bezier curves and is close to Posst script. If they are DXF thwy have been exported from Adobe and may not have intact polylines or polyarcs intact.

Inkscape may or may not open DXF files from a specific export filter. If the QCad imports it as polylines (intact lines , arcs and curves) then the resulting SVG export would be the same. DXF can be messed up in either the export or the import (or both) Depending on waht CAM program all of th e"broken" nodes may cut just fine. If they are close enough together they get translated as as connected. You have import options in sheetcam where it will attempt to tie nodes together. Inkscape can only deal with the import as it is and SVG will not "heal" a segmented export from another program/ There are som e tools in Inkscape that will let you join a group of nodes and turn it to a curve and then do a node reduction. It can get tedious and if you export it again in DXF you may lose all if the arc again.
Pat4rd
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: How do you guys deal with a drawing like this

Post by Pat4rd »

sorry for the delay in thanking you for your response, it was very helpful at the time and I understand now. I thought I had replied but when I looked back on it today I realized I didn't!
tcaudle wrote:What is the native file format (Adobe Illustrator uses "AI" which is a published file format with bezier curves and is close to Posst script. If they are DXF thwy have been exported from Adobe and may not have intact polylines or polyarcs intact.

Inkscape may or may not open DXF files from a specific export filter. If the QCad imports it as polylines (intact lines , arcs and curves) then the resulting SVG export would be the same. DXF can be messed up in either the export or the import (or both) Depending on waht CAM program all of th e"broken" nodes may cut just fine. If they are close enough together they get translated as as connected. You have import options in sheetcam where it will attempt to tie nodes together. Inkscape can only deal with the import as it is and SVG will not "heal" a segmented export from another program/ There are som e tools in Inkscape that will let you join a group of nodes and turn it to a curve and then do a node reduction. It can get tedious and if you export it again in DXF you may lose all if the arc again.
Millermatic 252
Hypertherm 45xp machine torch
Eagle 4x4
Mach3, sheetcam, adobe il, inkscape
Proma 150 floating head, Quincy 5hp 60gal, 3 stage dryer.

Return to “General Discussion”