Illustrator noob ? - Scaling and bounding box

General software related questions should be posted here.
JJ13
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Illustrator noob ? - Scaling and bounding box

Post by JJ13 »

When I export a drawing from illustrator I keep getting a rectangle box around the outside of my drawing. How do I turn this off, or how do I remove it from the drawing before export... Also how do I resize my drawing before export so it is close to the size I need the drawing. I sometimes export my drawing to torchmate, and have a problem finding it because it is huge...or microscopic.

Thanks,

Judd
FreeDXF.com
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Illustrator noob ? - Scaling and bounding box

Post by FreeDXF.com »

Judd,

I am not sure why you are ending up with a rectangular box around your design work when you are exporting. When creating a file to export you can use the Adobe Illustrator scaling tool to scale the image down or up to help with the DXF files importing overly large or miniscule. It will take some trial and error but you should be able to create the design work at the size you want to cut it out and then scale the image correctly before exporting as a DXF file format. Hope this helps! JH
jonn3y
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by jonn3y »

The box is from the image or a point outside of the art board or your image is half inside and half outside the art board. The image comes in different sizes cause for some reason torchmate cad. Try when your importing it just import it as an .AI file don't bother with the dxf orrrrrr when importing it change the units to mm or inches, seems to fix it for me, maybe its how we installed the program. Torchmate cad is not the best program it seems to be only good for the tool pathing.

Hope this helps
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

What format are you exporting (and what options) and what software is showing the bounding box?

Some formats like AI, EPS, SWF, etc. do incorporate a bounding box around the objects or the page.

Those formats have provisions to use the bounding box for placement calculations.

Then some software (and some export settings) will show the box as a normal rectangle shape.

I've seen it enough that I run a custom corel routine to delete rectangles that look like bounding boxes, but now I forgot all the details.

Return to “General Discussion”