Illustrator CC Problems exporting to DXF

General software related questions should be posted here.
summers1981
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Illustrator CC Problems exporting to DXF

Post by summers1981 »

Hi, I'm sorry if this question is answered somewhere else. I looked but couldn't find anything but that doesn't mean it isn't somewhere on this site.

I am a graphic designer, I work with Illustrator CC. I recently met and started working with a guy who has a plasma cutter. I am trying figure out how to design and export files so that we can collaborate.

I tried a very simple file (Browning logo) which only has one cutline, exported to DXF and the file worked fine. The second file I made was a Sask Roughriders logo. Slightly more complicated about 12 cutlines. (normally i work at a sign shop and work with a roland printer/cutter so the files that I exported were formatted the same way that I format my cutlines for the roland printer, .25 pt and used the roland cutline colour. I did the exact same thing on both files.) This time when I exported to DXF he can't use the file because he said they open as PNG files. I re-exported the file, selected JPEG when exporting. He says when he opens them they still open or say they are PNG files.

Can anyone tell me what is going on? or point me in the direction of where to find some instructions on how to do this as I'm really just shooting in the dark.

Thanks for any help.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Illustrator CC Problems exporting to DXF

Post by Gamelord »

You wouldn't select JPG to export.....you need to export it as a vector file. JPG, PNG and BMP files are not vector files. Normally would need to export the file as a .DXF which is the most common for nearly all plasma cutting software.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD

Return to “General Discussion”