Working with Adobe Illustrator

General software related questions should be posted here.
Imperial
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Working with Adobe Illustrator

Post by Imperial »

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and I've been reading a lot of unanswered questions from over the years as far as using illustrator for DXF files. A little bit about myself. I went to school for Graphic Design but I actually taught myself how to use illustrator before school. I have a degree in graphic design but was interested in the family business which happens to be a sheet metal shop. I've been working in the metal industry for about 3 years now. Any way long story short, I've tried exporting DXF files from illustrator and have not had any luck, but if anyone has any questions on using the program itself I can help. As far as DXF files go, my company bought a program called Draftsman Cutting Shop. It's very easy to use, and if you create quality work in illustrator it'll make everything easier using this program. This program is specifically designed to edit, export and cut on a plasma table. If anyone has any questions on these two programs don't hesitate to ask.

-Jared
yeomansjon
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Working with Adobe Illustrator

Post by yeomansjon »

Hey Jared, thanks for posting and introducing yourself. I'm sure there are quite a few of us that will have some design questions for you for sure!

I think I may be at the opposite side of the Illustrator spectrum. I'm not the greatest at design work using AI, but I am getting better. However I have had great luck exporting dxf files. I learned quick that since I use Autocad 2000 I had to select the export version different than the default. Also, before I export, my design needs to be outlined. This can be done using either a simple trace with the outline feature enabled, or you can 'Flatten Transparency' and then click the 'Outline' feature. Once you have an outline, then you can export to dxf. I then open the dxf in Autocad and often times see full 'white space' inside the geometry. I will then select everything and 'explode' the feature and then you can simply delete the white space and the desired geometry is left over.

After learning these tip the hardway, I find that 99% of my exports can be fixed this way. If you don't have Autocad, then I guess i'm not sure how to help but feel free to post or send me the files you export and I can fix it for you.
Fast Jonny Custom Design
CNC Plasma Cutting
Plasmacam DHC
Hypertherm Powermax 1000
www.facebook.com/fastjonnycustomdesign

Return to “General Discussion”