New to CorelDraw 2017- help!

Corel Draw Graphics Suite related questions and tips can be posted here
Welding14
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

New to CorelDraw 2017- help!

Post by Welding14 »

Hello! I'm just getting started with my plasma table, and I'm mostly struggling with trying to weld text to images and using the right font so that my letters don't fall through. I have watched countless tutorials, but haven't quite found what I need. I have had several requests for a "Welcome" or "Established" style sign with the person's last name and house number, but I cannot get it to work. Any advice is greatly appreciated!! Thank you!
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: New to CorelDraw 2017- help!

Post by SeanP »

Hi,
Not sure if I'm doing everything by the book but this is how I do that, it took me countless hours of messing around, it doesn't always go to plan mind!
You can use any font but need to add connectors to stop centres falling out.
Hope it helps.

https://youtu.be/__BHri8ES1E
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
Welding14
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Welding14 »

Thank you for your help! Your video was very helpful!
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

One of the biggest things that make it difficult to weld is by not combining the objects together. To do this select the two objects (or press CTRL +A to select everything) and then select combine from the pull down menu.

Once combined, un-select everything (click off somewhere that is clear), then click the object you want to work with, then click WELD, then click the object you want to weld to. If you mess up just hit undo.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by OTHill »

I've never figured out what the weld comand is for. I just use group and ungroup.Might be missing out on something usefull.
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Group will take multiple objects and link them together, so if you have a square on the left and a circle on the right, when you group them they will both move together regardless of which one you select. Ungrouping will just deselect the two objects making it so you can move one without the other.

Weld is quite different. Weld is used when you want to take two objects that are overlapping and "Weld" them together making one and only one object. Once you weld two objects together you end up with only one, you can not "Un-Weld" them and make them two again (unless you use the undo button). Once they are welded, it becomes one object. So if you want to add text to a thin rectangular line (so the text will not fall apart after cutting), you would draw your rectangle, then create your text. Then you would move the text so that the bottom of the letters are barely laying over the top of the top of the rectangle line. Then you would select the text (the object you want to weld), then select "WELD", then select the rectangle line (the object you want to weld to) and boom, it now becomes one object all connected together that will not fall apart.

Hope that helps.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate CAD
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

Thats interesting. When I draw a circle and a square a ways apart and select and group them both they dont move at all they become one so if you move one the other one moves to. They stay the same distance apart. When I need to join them I ungroup them again and move them together till they overlap the required amount, then I use virtual segment delete to remove the overlap and group it all again and I guess it's welded without welding.If I need them apart I just ungroup again.
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Yes OTHill, thats how it works. Grouping one or several objects lets you move them as a group. You can edit them as well. Ungrouping them will return them back to their own individual objects. Welding will take both objects and make them one object. No need for editing with the virtual segment or node tools. Once welded, they become one object and can't be undone.
Attachments
grouped objects.JPG
grouped objects.JPG (36.55 KiB) Viewed 888 times
welded objects.JPG
welded objects.JPG (33.64 KiB) Viewed 888 times

Torchmate CAD
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

Thanks I will have to play around with that.

Return to “Corel Draw Graphics Suite”