Welding text to a sign plaque

Corel Draw Graphics Suite related questions and tips can be posted here
Searchman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Welding text to a sign plaque

Post by Searchman »

I am looking for instructions to create a DXF graphic after designing a sign with text. I am not sure if I am using the correct terminology.
I have the sign graphic complete, but when I add text the sign the graphic the text are separate components. I cannot find instructions to " weld " the text to the sign graphic.I am using Coreldraw X7
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Welding text to a sign plaque

Post by Gamelord »

If you are adding the text onto the edge of your graphic, you would WELD it to it. If you are adding the text inside the graphic (wanting it cut out of the middle of the graphic) you would want to TRIM it.

Both methods are done the same way. First, open up your Shaping toolbox / Flyout. Go to Arrange --> Shaping and select the bottom "Shaping" item. This should open your shaping toolbox. To weld, make sure "Weld" is selected in the pull down menu. Then once your text is in the position you want it to be, select your text, then click "WELD TO" on your shaping toolbox, then select your object you want the text welded to. That should weld it to your object. To trim, make sure TRIM is selected in your pull down menu, position your text and basically do the same. Select the text, then select TRIM, then select your object and it should trim the text out of the object. YOu may need to move your old text out of the way if you have any of the "Leave Original" options selected.

Hope this helps.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Searchman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Searchman »

Thanks for the quick reply.
I opened the Shaping tool " Fly-out and I do not show an option to click on " Arrange ". I am opening the Fly-out on the tools selection on the left of the screen
Searchman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Searchman »

I believe I figured out the the menu wording. Being very new to Coreldraw. I ended up with a box around the two lines of text after " Trimming " the text. Is this normal ? Thanks Gamelord
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Arrange --> Shaping means select the pull down manu Arrange, then scroll down to the "Shaping" option. I think you got that though. :)

Not sure what you are asking about the Box around the lines....but if you trim one shape out of the middle of another shape, like text placed on top of a square (box), you will get the square with the item trimmed out of the middle of it as one shape. Both the square and the trimmed part should be there. If you have the "Leave Target" and "Leave Source" then you will have the square that has been trimmed, the square without being trimmed and the item that you used to trim - 3 different shapes. The "Target" is the item you are wanting to edit or trim, the "Source" is the item you are trimming out of the Target. This is helpful because if you are wanting to stencil a font or several pieces, you can draw a rectangle that is the size of the stencil part, select "Leave Source" and then just move it around the text or object and "Trim" each area and the area trimmed will all be the same spacing and size. So position, Trim, then move/position it to the next area, Trim again and so on and so on. Below is what the trim and weld would normally look like on a simple rectangle. The red behind is to show the effect.
Attachments
weld-trim.jpg
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate CAD
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

In X8, instead of "Arrange" you have "Object", X7 may be the same.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Thanks Muzza, I may just have to upgrade if they continue to change menu headings on me. :)

Torchmate CAD
Searchman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Searchman »

Thanks for the expert input

Return to “Corel Draw Graphics Suite”