converting images to dxf

Corel Draw Graphics Suite related questions and tips can be posted here
longhorndorman
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

converting images to dxf

Post by longhorndorman »

Hello, I have been in the cnc plasma cutting world for about three years now and have always paid someone to convert images or trace images for me(do to lack of time and knowledge). I have decided to take a step back in the cutting portion and hire someone to do that part and take on the role of converting images and or tracing do to the turn around time on products and to have higher profit margins, with that said I have basic knowledge of scaling dxf files and making minor changes in AutoCAD. I am wondering if someone could help me out with what cad program would be best for converting or tracing and really where to start. I have never taken a image and converted it to a dxf file so I have no clue on that portion of the operation. I know this will not be a quick or easy learning curve and will take lots of time but it is something I need to learn to keep my cnc plasma business healthy. Thanks any help will be greatly appreciated.
littlefatbuddy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: converting images to dxf

Post by littlefatbuddy »

That's not an easy question to answer. I personally like Corel others swear by adobe, still others with inkscape, and the list goes on. You have a some options as far as learning. I spent countless hours on youtube with a split screen learning how to use the program. I still have a long way to go even after three years of using it. You could enroll in a college class and go that route. Search the files here many times you can find the process you need to do. By the way, I will start a thread in a bit to ask for Corel help in text.
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Each CAD program will operate differently but many share the same principals. There are lots and lots of online tutorials but many of them cover a lot of the features and abilities not required for what we do but one guy who has for years created an easy to follow series of tutorials that relate almost directly to what we want to do is Steve Good. This is the link to lesson 1 on CorelDraw X5 which continues on, a search will also turn up others he does including Inkscape
Murray

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU5IyrClxiM
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

Since you aren't familiar with any CAD program, pick one and run with it.
I use Autocad for everything because I am familiar with it after using it for over 20 years while working. I may not be or probably isn't the best program for doing artwork but I have learned to work with it's indiscretions because I am familiar with all of the commands, etc.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
longhorndorman
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by longhorndorman »

Thanks for all the responses, I just finished watching all the videos on YouTube about CorelDraw X5 and the only question I have is can I export to a dxf file and import into sheetcam with no problems? I take that back second question is which version is the best do I purchase CorelDraw X5 or purchase the latest X8?
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

The answer is yes and yes although you will find svg files work better as they retain a lot of other native information.

I upgraded to X8 when it came out, it has features that are not in X5. Personally I would recommend downloading the trial version which gives you some time to play with it, you can also click on help and it will show you what features are new since X5 and that will show you some of the things which make life easier like the line bumping, node grouping, improved knife tool and text editor and a a few others I have forgotten about but pretty much everything you saw in the Steve Good videos is the same or improved on.
Murray
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Anhother tip, Corel offers upgrades at a very big discount over purchasing the native program. To save a ton, you can purchase older versions from some of those auction sites (like X5 or X6) for less than 60 bucks (if you look hard enough). Then once you have it installed and if you still want to upgrade to the latest version, you can upgrad to X8 at a big disocunt over purchasing the full version. There is no difference between the full version and the upgrade, you only need a previous version to be able to purchase the upgrade. this could save you a couple hundered bucks. You can also use X6 without any real issues at all as well. I am still using X6 and it works fine, just haven't yet pulled the trigger on upgrading...but I probably will soon.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
longhorndorman
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by longhorndorman »

Well I did a simple dxf file with CorelDraw x8 trail version, I think it come out pretty good I was wanting to add it on to this thread so everyone could give me pointers but it said the file is to large, can someone inform on how to upload it?
Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Larry83301 »

The simplest way to upload a large file is to ZIP or RAR the file. That will usually shrink it at least in half and then you can post it.

Larry

Return to “Corel Draw Graphics Suite”