Correct size and distances

Corel Draw Graphics Suite related questions and tips can be posted here
tubby
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Correct size and distances

Post by tubby »

I am after some tips from some of the very knowledgeable people on this forum.
I'm starting to learn corel. I have x8 and have watch hours of YouTube.
I'm starting to get the hang of it and can do basic traces, add text using front minus back and after a while of scratching my hand and googling I manage to get what I need.

The problem I'm having and can't quite get me head around is placing objects with exact measurements of where I want them.
I come from an autodesk inventor background. So I'm having troubles being able to tell corel exactly where I want something.

I hope that makes sense.
Ill try and give an example.
I have a box. 3in x 3in
Easy enough.
I draw another box 1/2 x 1/2
Easy.
Now what I can't understand is if I want this box to be 1.25in from the left hand side and 1in from the top.
How do I achieve this.
I've been somewhat cheating it using a nudge factor but I'm sure there is a easier way.
If I was in inventor I would just run a dimension line and type in my size.
Not the case in corel.

Could you guys please let me know the best was to achieve this. As from what I've already learnt in corel is there is many ways to achieve the same results.
radicalrescue
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Correct size and distances

Post by radicalrescue »

i dont use corel but in aspire i can high light the part i want an hold down my mouse an move the part to any spot ..u might try that an see
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Here's what I do if I need things exact. (This is in X6 but should be the same for X8)

1) Drag a guideline from the side and one from the top of the page so you have two guidelines, one horizontal and one vertical. (to create guuidelines, click and hold on the ruler and drag it out onto your workspace. Dragging from the top creates Horizontal guidelines, dragging from the side creates Vertical guidelines).
2) Make sure that "Snap To Guidelines" is checked. This can be found under the "View" pulldown menu.
3) Double Click on the Horizontal guideline to open up the guidelines tool box.
From here, you can now place edit or move your guidelines wherever you want them. First, MOVE the highlighted Horizontal guideline to 0.00 to do this, enter in 0 in the very top box, then click "Move" on the left. Make sure that "Inches" is selected in the units box just to the right.
Next, add in another guideline at 1" (enter 1.00 in the top box and click "ADD")
Now, over on the left hand side, click "Vertical" to select the vertical guidelines.
Move the guideline to 0.00 same as the Horizontal one.
Next add in another guideline at 1.250 (enter 1.25 in the top box and click "ADD")
Now close the toolbox and zoom out if necessary on your workspace to see the guidelines.

Now, draw your first square and size it to 3". Move it over so that the corner of the box is ontop of the guideline at 0,0. The guideline should highlight and the box should "snap" to the guideline on both sides, placing it exactly at 0,0.
Next, draw your second box, size it to 1/2" and move it to the second set of guidelines and it should snap into place.

Export to DXF and cut. The guidelines will NOT export, only the objects that were drawn will so you can leave them there or if you want, click on the guidelines so they are highlighted and hit delete to remove them. You can pull down as many guidelines as you need from the rulers.

If you have irregular shapes, you can actually create all the dimensions of the shape using your guideline toolbox and then just draw the shape with the pen tool snapping it to the guidelines as needed.

Hope this helps.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

You can also use the positioning units located on the top of the page next to the sizing units. Make sure that inches is selected and just enter in the numbers as needed. This is a little more difficult as it uses the center of the object to place it. You would need to add and/or subtract the dimensions as needed to get it placed just right. I find the guideline method to be much quuicker and without that much thinking. :)
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate CAD
tubby
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by tubby »

Thanks gamelord.
I've read and learnt a lot from your posts.
I knew there would be an easier way.
The guidelines would work good when I need to place multiple items in a line.
What about angles?
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

You can rotate the guidelines, just double click on them and move them however you need. You can also set them at exact angles such as 38 degrees etc... Another way that I use is if I need to draw say....a diamond that is 4" across but 6" high. I would create four guidelines for the furthest points of the diamond, then create two more that intersected at 2" and 3" (half of the full distance. Then I would just draw the diamond as needed with the pen tool, snapping at each intersection. See attached image.
Attachments
guidelines.jpg

Torchmate CAD

Return to “Corel Draw Graphics Suite”