Corel draw playing tricks again

Corel Draw Graphics Suite related questions and tips can be posted here
OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Corel draw playing tricks again

Post by OTHill »

i'm wondering why corel draw sometimes mess up a drawing with multiple lines and what to do about it.will enclose a DXF.Thanks in advance.
Attachments
RUSTICO STAIR RAIL ELK.dxf
(901.7 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Corel draw playing tricks again

Post by WyoGreen »

I opened your file in CorelDraw, and you're right there are a lot of overlaps, I counted 21 on the ovals. As far as the cause, that's a good question that I don't have an answer to.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

I looked at in with Design Edge, file looks ok there are just lots of overlaps and some orphaned lines on top of lines, as mentioned above mainly on the ovals.

Shane
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

How about a bit more detail on what you have done and version.

Was this an autotrace? or drawn? or a combination of both? maybe a downloaded file that you don't know the origins of.

If an autotrace, did the drawing have multiple colors or a background, did you ungroup? etc to save only one layer of the trace?

Looks to me that the ovals are the result of too many copy and pastes. Lets us I know a bit more and I'm sure we can help, normally just something simple.

Murray
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

WyoGreen wrote:I opened your file in CorelDraw, and you're right there are a lot of overlaps, I counted 21 on the ovals. As far as the cause, that's a good question that I don't have an answer to.

Steve
Did the same!! Have never had that happen in corel 4X.. so guess I'm no help..
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

Ovals drawn by myself in CD 6.It seems when I draw something especially circles and ovals and save in DXF than bring back into CD again the circles often end up that way.
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

Here we go again.I just drew an oval in CD and exported it to DXF.Than into sheetcam and it was alright.Imported it into CD again Than into SC again and it was all messed up.I will enclose the DXF again with both ovals.
Attachments
aaaoval.dxf
(81.25 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
aaaoval.dxf
(81.25 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Coreldraw is bad enough exporting DXFs just once. Yesterday I drew a rectangle and stuck some other basic shapes inside it. Exported to DXF and in Sheetcam the rectangles corners are chamfered. I've experienced things like that several times.

Use SVG export and things are generally OK.

Why would you export then re-import the DXF when you have the original Coreldraw file in any case. Is there some purpose behind that. I tend to look at imports / exports as opportunities for good drawings to go bad LOL.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by islander261 »

I have had similar problems with other drawing and CAM SW. This is what I have found. The DXF file format details have evolved over the years in AutoCad land (i have close to 30 years using AutoCAD in a mechanical design environment so I am no stranger to its power and quirks). The big changes are in how polylines, arcs and circles are handled. Any mystery as to why drawings that have curves, circles or arcs cause problems? What you are having happen is a program saves to a DXF that is one generation (details of how it handles polylines, arcs and circles) and is then imported to another program in another generation (uses a slightly different method) and then export it back or to a third program that uses yet another different method.

I deal with this in two ways:
1. When ever possible I maintain drawings in a vector format, i.e. dwg or svg file format. I highly recommend using svg file format for art work if your SW will support it;
2. Always export your files in in a legacy (read as simpler) dxf format. Most drawing packages will let you choose an old R12 or R14 format which usually helps.

I had big problems trying to use various programs to produce drawings for use with my machine control SW which has dxf import capability. The file format trick worked pretty well but the real win was when I started using Inkscape and Gcodetools to produce nearly finished gcode. I am by far no expert in Gcodetools and hand edit code in notepad to fix it for my application but once I fix the pierce and rapids it works great. So as an aside if anyone knows the best way to setup Gcodetools for use with Torchmate 3 I am all ears. I believe that the default way Gcodetools is setup will work with any Mach or EMC based machine control.

John
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

As others have said, there are some versions of AutoCAD that work better than others to export as. I've had the most success exporting as AutoCAD 2008 or export as SVG file which both work fine with Sheetcam for me.

Murray
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

muzza wrote:As others have said, there are some versions of AutoCAD that work better than others to export as. I've had the most success exporting as AutoCAD 2008 or export as SVG file which both work fine with Sheetcam for me.

Murray
Good to know Murray,

I've always used R14 thinking the older versions will be more basic and should have less problems. I'll have a play with 2008 now.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

Thanks for all the help.I think I'm Starting to see the light.Allan

Return to “Corel Draw Graphics Suite”