CorelDraw x6 to .dxf help

Corel Draw Graphics Suite related questions and tips can be posted here
xjer
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

CorelDraw x6 to .dxf help

Post by xjer »

Hello
I am trying to convert .jpeg to .dxf using CorelDraw x6. When I save as .dxf an export to Autocad box comes up and
does not give me the option to save as dxf. What am I doing wrong? I just downloaded the free trial of CorelDraw and
know very little about it. Any help would be appreciated. I went to youtube and watched some videos but I am still lost.

Thanks,
Mike
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: CorelDraw x6 to .dxf help

Post by Gamelord »

Mike,

DXF is an Autocad file type. Similar to a PDF being Adobe's file type and CDR being CorelDraws file type. When you click to export as DXF, you are basically saying I want to save my file as an Autocad DXF formatted file. The pop-up box is just asking which version of Autocad you want to save it in. Most of the time you can save it as Ver. 14 and it will be fine....however, your torch software may not like that version and you may need to save as an earlier version. Try a couple and see which one gives you the best results when you import the DXF into your cut software.

Hope that helps.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

It may not be available on the trial version. I tried the trial versions of a handful of programs and Corel Draw was trialed, twice. The second time I tried it it told me the trial version would not allow save as DXF when I went to go save it.

I had one issue with saving to DXF, which I have since resolved, I have to take one small step (Convert to Curves) before saving as DXF. Some people rave about Plasmacam Design Edge but I very much prefer Corel Draw. It's cheap, does everything I want, intuitive, easy to use, and I can draw things up very fast with it and be accurate.

The second one I liked was VCarve Pro, but I think Corel Draw is actually better, and VCarve Pro costs a few hundred more. CorelCAD wasn't bad either.
xjer
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by xjer »

Thanks guys that was a lot of help. I got it to work by changing the version of autocad. What Is confusing is after
you pick the autocad version it has you pick a file extenstion and it only gives you jpg gif pwg and bmp but when
I go to the file it was a dxf. Anyway I got to work this time.
I see guys saying they did a trace in 3 min. It took me hours to get it figured out.

Thanks,
Mike
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

When you click on the "save as" type, you have a handful of file types at the top (DXF should be one of them). I'm not sure how that small section is determined, like most used, or what Corel thinks you will most likely use. Then below that, there are a lot more types, DWG being one, DXF will be listed again, and it seems like 25-30 other file types you can save as.

Corel Draw will be able to save as DXF if that is your concern.

I was tracing stuff at first, just brackets and things, but now I find it easier/quicker just to draw things up on my own.

Return to “Corel Draw Graphics Suite”