CorelDRAW Instruction

Corel Draw Graphics Suite related questions and tips can be posted here
joyner60
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

CorelDRAW Instruction

Post by joyner60 »

Is there a good instruction book for using coreldraw ? Especially intrested in applications just concerning plasma cutting.
admin
Site Admin

Re: coreldraw

Post by admin »

There are great instructions available within the software as well as lots of information online. Of course you can always post your questions on the board and we can help you out also.

admin
donnacohn
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

illustrator?

Post by donnacohn »

Anyone have any experience using Illustrator? I can save an Illustrator drawing in a dxf format but Torchmate and AutoCAD won't recognize the dxf.
enfofan
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: coreldraw

Post by enfofan »

in the yahoo groups for cnc plasma cutting, I posted a very detailed description for using Corel Draw for creating a dxf for importing-- try a search in that groups section under my moniker 'enfofan'; regarding your question however, no there is not a resource for using Corel specifically for plasma cutting, or any other application that uses dxf and the layers;

I am self taught using Corel , started with V9 and currently use V12. I find that I can created just about any design within an hour. I will take an image that I scan from a photograph, a magazine ( especially the hot rod magazines), some books and even a newspaper clipping, and using Photo Paint, I remove most elements with the eraser and with V12 the image tool. I will play with the different details to try to capture the look that will still make the image recognizable. I then convert to LINE ART. Using Trace, I convert to dxf, viewing in wireframe- I will make the adjustments to minimize the nodes, and save to file. Reopen the new file (the dxf ) in Draw. You will need to select all objects and then ungroup. Create a new layer for each object and then move one object to one layer. It is very important to have the order of each layer set for the cutting order-- that is, cut inside objects first then the outside objects. When you export the design as a dxf your compiler will interpret the order of each layer and set teh g-code accordingly.
Manipulating the nodes will halp to create 'smooth' cuts. It is with the node editor that you can break the curve, create cut ins in the waste to make real clean cuts, and join other elements together.
Even when I was getting started in 2001, I found Corel very intuitive getting started. One other quick point: when using the rectangle, elipse, and text tool you must go back and select those items and convert to curves!!! To proof your design do a print preview- if an element seems to be missing-- more than likely it has not been converted to curves. This may be overwhelming but with a bit practice you will get the hang of it.
cheers,
FerrousWorm
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: CorelDRAW Instruction

Post by FerrousWorm »

I've been drawing and cutting metal things by hand for years. It was a huge leap to the PC and CNC. CorelDRAW X3 Unleashed has been extremely helpful. You can find it at online retailers or from the author directly at http://www.unleash.com. He has other versions as well. There are 750 pages on a CD and video of most lessons showing you how it's done. I like having both Corel and Unleashed on the screen and trying each feature several times before moving to the next.

BIll

Return to “Corel Draw Graphics Suite”