Hypertherm 1000 cutting 1/4 inch settings

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
jeeplogic83
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Hypertherm 1000 cutting 1/4 inch settings

Post by jeeplogic83 »

I have a project that requires cutting 1/4 P&O steel I would like to use the fine cut consumables if possible. If any of you guys are cutting 1/4 with fine cut what kind of settings are you using. both in sheet cam and MACH. any help would be appreciated thanks in advance.
Craig
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: cutting 1/4 inch settings

Post by Craig »

Greg, on my Hypertherm 65 fine cut is only recommended up to 10 gauge. What cutter do you use?

Craig Johnson
Craig Johnson
jeeplogic83
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jeeplogic83 »

Sorry, forgot about that I have the powermax 1000
DLE
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by DLE »

45a shielded consumables would be much better in the long run. I think using the fine cut you'll trash that nozzle in no time
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The 40 amps shielded consumables will give you best cut quality on 1/4", just as suggested in the operators manual. You could probably cut 1/4" with FineCuts if your insist, but expect short nozzle and electrode life and a lot of dross on the plate. FineCut consumables were developed specifically for steel and stainless of less than 10 gauge thickness.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

jeeplogic83 wrote:I have a project that requires cutting 1/4 P&O steel I would like to use the fine cut consumables if possible. If any of you guys are cutting 1/4 with fine cut what kind of settings are you using. both in sheet cam and MACH. any help would be appreciated thanks in advance.
jeeplogic83
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jeeplogic83 »

what about using the 60 amp tip with the small nozzle opening The part # is Hypertherm Powermax 1000 Nozzle Ext 60 Amp #220007 I have had some luck with these and the cut does not seem much larger then that of the fine cut nozzle. Are there any special considerations or settings with these.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The kerf width with a 60 amp Hypertherm nozzle will amost twice that of the FineCut nozzle, and about 1.5 times that of the 40 amp shielded nozzle.

If you want to use the 60 amp consumables....simply follow the mechanized cut charts for the consumables and material being cut. There are many pages of cut charts with all the necessary cut speed, amperage, pierce height, cut height, etc information in the operators manual.

Since you were asking about using the FineCut parts in your original post....I assumed you were looking for the finest cut quality on your 1/4" material. The lowest amperage consumables that will succesfully cut 1/4" steel on your Powermax1000 are the 40 amps sheilded consumables. Operate them at the machine cut chart settings listed in your manual, and you will get the best cut quality. By stepping up to the 60 amp consumable....you will cut faster, but with a wider kerf width and more edge taper.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

jeeplogic83 wrote:what about using the 60 amp tip with the small nozzle opening The part # is Hypertherm Powermax 1000 Nozzle Ext 60 Amp #220007 I have had some luck with these and the cut does not seem much larger then that of the fine cut nozzle. Are there any special considerations or settings with these.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”