amps?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
CPK_Jim
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

amps?

Post by CPK_Jim »

Hey guys, How do you guys choose what amperage to run for a particular material? I am just kinda guessing right now and know there has to be a better way. I cut alot of 20g sheet steel what should i be at for that? I have been cutting at like 24 amps, and 70 ipm, am I close? Also how do choose the feed rate? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanx,

Jim
admin
Site Admin

Re: amps?

Post by admin »

Hey Jim

I would agree with Torchmate in this one. 20 amp tip, set at 20 amps should work great.

I would recommend that you cut a series of 1" squares bumping your speed up with each square you cut. Eventually you will end up running too fast and then you can review the results of your cuts and determine what speed is giving the best edge quality with minimal slag formation.

Use this speed and you can expect good results.

A lot of time it is guessing and experimentation for best results. Never go by the chart provided by your plasma manufacturer since they typically rate the speeds at full amperage to generate impressive cutting speeds for advertising purposes.

Use the lowest amperage tip that will cut the material and then get up to max speed for that amperage.

admin
CPK_Jim
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by CPK_Jim »

Thanx guys I'll try that. My cut quality seems to be ok, I was just curious if there was a correct way to go about things.

Thanks again,

Jim
jeeplogic83
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jeeplogic83 »

I hate to sound like a newbie since I have been doing this for about 2 years now, but as far as I know there are only 40 amp, 60amp and fine cut tips available for the Hypertherm 1000 where are you guys getting 20 amp tips???? I use the fine tips up to 40 amps. and while I am on the subject can the admin set up an official section for just such questions????? If one of us find a sweet spot for cutting a particular gauge or alloy post it up.. It would be a great starting point for most of us.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”