Counter sinking holes

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
retiredcpo
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Counter sinking holes

Post by retiredcpo »

I find that the holes I cut Are extremly hard and can not counter sink them.
How do you guys deal with counter sinking your holes
retiredcpo
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Counter sinking holes

Post by I Lean »

Cut them undersize, drill them out with a cobalt drill bit (this will remove the hardened edges) then countersink as normal.
gary42095
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by gary42095 »

i know nothing about work hardened from plasma but i drill and countersink ar550 plate with solid carbide countersinks and bits
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The key to drilling and countersinking air plasma cut holes is with using the correct drill or countersink. Low cost, off the shelf drills and countersinks are designed for drilling on standards grades of mild steel. The nitrogen content in air with an air plasma produces a nitride hardened edge....too hard for regular drill bits.

Solid cobalt (not plated or coated) works well, as does carbide. The cobalt drills are easily resharpenable and work very well.

Picture shows a part that I did a while back. Many of the holes were plasma cut at a .187" dimension, then drilled with a .201" cobalt drill....then tapped 1/4"-20. Others were countersunk....again using cobalt.

Keep in mind that industrial high definition grade plasma's use oxygen instead of air for cutting steel. There is very little hardening when oxygen is used......however you cannot use oxygen in a torch designed for air plasma cutting!

Jim Colt
IMG_2943.jpg
IMG_2943.jpg (58.7 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
IMG_2945.jpg
IMG_2945.jpg (51.54 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
ggeh
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ggeh »

Can you tell me what settings I should use to mark the steel where I want to drill later. I tried for the first time and first mark blew a hole through and the rest where better but still about an 1/8 inch wide and 1/8 inch deep. I have a hypertherm powermax 85 using sheetcam and mach3
Attachments
4 corner holes on a 1"square
4 corner holes on a 1"square
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Depends on the size of holes.. I picked one of these up for larger then .500" Amazon is pretty cool, if you know how to look for deals.. $136.22 for this unit.. Nitto are top quality too..Normal price is a bit much, but still top quality..They do sell a chamfer bit,and a thin plate attachment below .250

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NV ... UTF8&psc=1

Unless you have the correct hardware, and software. it's hard to mark correctly.. I use to do it with zero issues with my Esab 1600 with it's 15 amp low end.. Real nice.. I tried a bit with my 65, and got nowhere fast.. I think with some work I cold get it to function ok .. Now on to my last try without any programing, other then the drill mode in SheetCam.. (Victor A-60 with the valve in torch) Marks the same from first hole to last.. I turned the machine down to 20 amps,put a 120 amp nozzle in the torch for the marking.Good work around, without buying a new machine/hardware.. The 45 XP will mark, but you still have to change consumables to do so.. Real nice marks with a round bottom, to set your drill or punch in (perfect really) :mrgreen:
Attachments
hole mark 2.jpg
hole mark 2.jpg (98.79 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
divots for punch.jpg
divots for punch.jpg (174.84 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
bevel.jpg
bevel.jpg (273 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
1.375 hole bevel.jpg
1.375 hole bevel.jpg (158.89 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
1.375 hole bevel2.jpg
1.375 hole bevel2.jpg (173.53 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
SeanP