water table newbe

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
fitzy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

water table newbe

Post by fitzy »

I just built me a water tray for my table and boy I don't know how I lived without it. My question is when using a water tray do you have to slow down your feedrate to get it to cut properly or does it matter. I have only made a few cuts and this is what i've found but I am curious if this is really the case.
-fitzy-
It ain't braggen if you can back it up!
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: water table newbe

Post by jimcolt »

Cut speed and the effects on cut quality when cutting with water in contact with the plate will vary depending on the make and model of the plasma system you are using. Speed will be affected when you cut thicker materials as the water tends to quench (cool) the plate....removing heat from the process. Plasma cuts done with water contacting the plate will also have a rougher edge finish....which is a function related to disassociation of the components that make water...Hydrogen and oxygen being released....which deflects the arc creating roughness.

Many water tables have a means of raising and lowering the water.....lower levels provide better cut quality, but more smoke.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

fitzy wrote:I just built me a water tray for my table and boy I don't know how I lived without it. My question is when using a water tray do you have to slow down your feedrate to get it to cut properly or does it matter. I have only made a few cuts and this is what i've found but I am curious if this is really the case.
fitzy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by fitzy »

Thanks Jim. I appreciate your quick response.
-fitzy-
It ain't braggen if you can back it up!
Eggman
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Eggman »

Any pics of this water table? Thanks.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”