Getting rid of Plasma Cutting Dross

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
jeeplogic83
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Getting rid of Plasma Cutting Dross

Post by jeeplogic83 »

Just wondering how you guys get rid of the dross on the back of your work. Personally I use a grinder with a flapper disk, but this process is time consuming and costly. :( has anyone come up with a better solution.[*]
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Getting rid of Plasma Cutting Dross

Post by plain ol Bill »

I generally get rid of most all dross using a twist wire cup brush on a 4-1/2" grinder. Occasionally I will have some tough dross and then I use a pneumatic muffler chisel gun. I made a 2" wide chisel welded to on of the muffler guns chisels. That will take tough slag off in a hurry.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
RPM
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by RPM »

On parts that are 3/16 and thicker we use a cheap Harbor Freight cement mixer. Throw all the parts in there for about 15-20 minutes and no more dross. On thinner stuff we use the grinder and flap wheel method.
ce offroad
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by ce offroad »

I use a wide chisel on larger part followed by a flapper wheel, same here on the cement mixer on anything that will fit in the hole. sure is loud though! plan on building it's own room one day.
Metal Lee
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Metal Lee »

I normaly use a chipping hammer followed by a flap disk on a grinder. I used a wire cup before untill I got a piece of the wire stuck in my fore arm. i think i may try the air hammer.
Thanks, Metal Lee
Keep the sparks out of your boots!
mattinspokane
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by mattinspokane »

an easy way is to drop the parts on the cement floor. make sure that you toss it so that it lands flat with the back side of cut facing up. 2 or 3 "drops" and your part is 99% clean. The rest I knock off with a flat chisel and hammer.
peepers
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by peepers »

I have learned from others that parts left to soak in a bath of diluted muratic acid over night will just about
dissolve most all slag. What is left is real easy to remove with a small scraper or similar. This also
helps remove oils before painting. You have to be sure to wash with clean water very well or nutrilize it with
baking soda or washing soda or it will rust very quickly. I usually mix up a container of baking soda and water
and soak in there for a few minutes. And wash once again. It may sound like a lot of trouble but it sure beats
spending the time grinding or sanding.
juligle
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by juligle »

If you cut at the right speed there is almost no dross, if the dross is dificult to clean, to much speed, if the speed is to slow the dross cleans more easily. I let the parts fall flat from a meter high more o less, more than 50% of the dross fall apart (wach your eyes, the dross fly!) I do this 2 or 3 times, next I hit the rest of the dross with a hammer, perpendicular to the , not to high to deform the part, next I use the flap grinder.

juligle
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

You can also soak it in Vinegar if you want a less dangerous solution. Works almost as good as acid but takes longer. I used it a couple times but can't wait that long. I use the "drop on floor" method followed by "wire wheel" method, then sometimes the "chisel and hammer" method on the stubborn 1 or 2 pieces.

I'm in the process of building a tumbler though...
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
oakycreek
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by oakycreek »

I use welders anti splatter spray. Spray the back of the sheet before you put it on the table. Works great for me. Any brand should work, but heres a link for those who don't know what it is.

http://www.welding-direct.com/enspataeranc.html.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”