Problems

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
SomethingMetal
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Problems

Post by SomethingMetal »

Why is my plasma doing this?
I am running a Hypertherm 65 with fine cut consumables.
I have been cutting 14ga like this for months now and never had this problem. Is this caused my "wet" air?
Attachments
Township 7 Beaver Creek-20111209-00299.jpg
Township 7 Beaver Creek-20111209-00298.jpg
Township 7 Beaver Creek-20111209-00300.jpg
Samson 510
Hypertherm PM85
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Problems

Post by jimcolt »

Could be one of a few issues causing the cut quality issue.

- Torch to work distance varying....too high can cause issues with fully penetrating the plate. With the FineCut consumables and their power limitation...height is extremely critical.

- Moisture in your air system often build up somewhere in the plumbing....and releases in slugs which can affect cut quality periodically.

- Low inlet air pressure or a restriction in your air line.

- Worn or damaged consumables. Worn or damaged retaining cap.

- Loose or poor work ground

Jim Colt Hypertherm
SomethingMetal
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by SomethingMetal »

Jim thanks for you response. I worked on the moisture issue I thought I had only to find out that my torch to work height was off. I have been using .7 as my arc volt shift and now since it has cooled off outside I have to use .6. Has anyone else seen this before? It was driving me crazy because I write down all my settings that allow for the best quality cut. I was using the settings I had written down and it just wasn't working. It is cutting like a champ now but it was throwing me a curve ball earlier.
Samson 510
Hypertherm PM85
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Temperature should have no effect (that I am aware of!) on the arc voltage shift. The voltage shift is essentially the "zeroing" of the torch to the plate so that it can maintain the proper torch height.....so likely something changed a bit....maybe the way the torch was mounted to the clamp?.....which would have affected torch height.

Jim
Dennis
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dennis »

I have made a few cuts like that myself , then I noticed that I was not getting a good ground.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”