kerf and slag

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Patrick Waite
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

kerf and slag

Post by Patrick Waite »

Ok Im cutting 1/8 inch. running at about 60 to 70 inch a min at 35 to 40 amps useing 60 amp tip. I have alot of slag that is rolling back under the kerf. Am i going to fast or to slow. To much grinding afterwards. Need some help.
Patrick
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: kerf and slag

Post by I Lean »

Lots of dross on the bottom usually means you're going too slow--which sounds right to me, since I run around 90IPM @45A on 10ga. (this is with a Hypertherm Powermax 45, just for reference)
redfarm
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by redfarm »

I have cut a lot of 10 ga. with the fine cuts and when I first got the machine I used the lower amp and speed setting with the thought that bad things wouldn't happen as quickly. I never could get a cut that I was really happy with so I used the higher amp and speed settings provided with the consumables and WOW what a difference it made, could not believe it was the same machine. Build er right and wind it tight.
Patrick Waite

Post by Patrick Waite »

Thank you for the info. I new i was going to slow. But nwas not sure. I rased up my amps and speed and im good to go. Thank Much
Patrick
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by JJsCustomDesigns »

I cut 10 gauge at 110ipm with a Hypertherm pm 1250. 60 amp tip set at 40. Works good for me :)

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”