16 guage aluminum

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
fitzy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

16 guage aluminum

Post by fitzy »

Hi all I just landed a big aluminum job and was wondering if anyone could tell me how fast you cut 16 guage aluminum at right now I'm cutting at 160 and getting a pretty good cut but it is large quantities in the future and would like to dial it in a little bit more
I run a tm3 5x10 with no avhc :oops: but its all i could do at the time I will be getting one as I get the funding
also a thermal-dyne 82 running at 30 amps
Thanks for your help
-fitzy-
-fitzy-
It ain't braggen if you can back it up!
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 16 guage aluminum

Post by jimcolt »

I would recommend using the specs in the Thermal Dynamics operators manual...

Jim
fitzy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by fitzy »

Thanks Jim for responding I think I've got it dialed in at 160 ipm with 30 amps I'm going to try to bump it up to 180 tommorow and see what happens.
-fitzy-
It ain't braggen if you can back it up!
srp
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by srp »

fitzy - One thing to know about the TD 30 amp tip. These are designed for hand cutting.The 40 amp. (9-8208) is for machine cutting. I find this tip delivers the least dross on the back side. I do use the 30 amp tip when my detail is greater and I am running slower. - John
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by jmsrbrt »

I'd REALLY like to know how people are cutting so fast. I just cut some 1/16th aluminum yesterday, and with my TD Cutmaster 51, I was using a 20 amp tip and cutting 65 ipm. Still produced a slight warp in a 10 inch straight line.

I've never got even CLOSE to what the manual SAYS I should be cutting at. Not even 80%. My air comes from the compressor, through fifty feet of air line, then two dessicant dryers. I see no water vapor in it, and it's cool on my hand, but I wouldn't call it cold. I feel it's dry however since my cuts are good and very little dross. How can I bump up the speed even with the 30 and 40 amp tips? I'll add that I have the SL100 machine torch. Bob.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Here is a part that I cut a couple of days ago...it is .080" aluminum. It was cut on my cnc machine (with torch height control), there was no warpage and no dross or slag except for a couple of light beads on the bottom of the holes. The plasma is a Hypertherm Powermax85 running at 45amps (45 am shielded nozzle), cut height was .060" and cut speed was 200 inches per minute. The small holes on the ends are 1/8". The cnc machine is a PlasmaCam DHC2.

Jim Colt
IMG_0507.jpg
IMG_0507.jpg (48.85 KiB) Viewed 2358 times
IMG_0505.jpg
IMG_0505.jpg (47.71 KiB) Viewed 2358 times
rpage
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rpage »

wow that is some nice cut! I have always had some issue cutting aluminum as far as dross goes. but once I get the 85 on my table I will try your settings. nice!
Loyd
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Loyd »

Jim,
How in the world do you get such good quality holes? My cuts look good like yours but the holes do not look nearly as round.
Loyd
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The key to good holes in with a good operating torch height control.

1. pierce at pierce height (dead center of hole)
2. No x or Y motion....but after pierce delay times out, x axis quickly moves torch down to cut height.
3. x and y motion starts and leads in to the hole cut path.
4. Hole has no lead out, arc shuts off at 360 degrees

Of course using the smallest nozzle and lowest power (on a good plasma torch design which has a high energy density arc...not all do!). The cnc machine also must have excellent acceleration. If the machine is sluggish, the holes will be out of round.

Jim Colt

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”