A few questions for a beginner

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
FiveORacing
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

A few questions for a beginner

Post by FiveORacing »

I'm new to Plasma and I have a few basic questions hopefully someone can give me some tutorials on. Probably pretty simple, but I'm new at this.

1.Optimizing the use of material. (manual nesting?) How do I set up so that I can squeeze a piece into an available spot on the material, and get it so the torch doesn't run off the steel or into previous cuts. I'm not talking about scaling, I can do that, I'm talking about making sure I don't run off the clean part off the material from the start point. Right now the codes I load have the crosshairs in the center of the objects and it starts by moving somewhere else before cutting. I'm kinda eyeballing it but I'm sure there's a more technical way. :oops:

2. Do you guys do "dry" runs and what's the best way to do that?

3. When I have pretty much nothing let to cut from, what's the best way to cut of the remaining scrap on the table?

I'm using TurboCAD, Sheetcam TNG and Mach3.

Thanks

Joe
RJ Fab
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: A few questions for a beginner

Post by RJ Fab »

I'm new too but will try and help. 8-)

1. I look at both x,y measurements of what I'm going to cut paying attention to which is the long side cut (if not square). Mine starts in the lower right of what's to be cut so I place the material where it will squeeze into if using scrap. Just wondering how your's starts from the middle? That would give it (-) coordinates?

2. On my setup to do a dry run I just simply turn the plasma cutter off and let the driver software run alone. This is nice to make sure the cut piece will fit where you want it to. (like your above question)

3. I'm not sure what your asking here?

Hope this helps.
stonesol
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by stonesol »

1. As a beginer myself I might be able to help a little.When setting up your dxf files you have x0 y0 in turbocad, so when you open up the part in turbocad the part was centered on x0 y0 then it will move x- x+ and y- y+.(You can move the whole part in turbo Cad and re save so it will start x0,y0 not centered.)When you load the part in mach3 use the pendant (tab button will open up pendant in mach3) you can manually move your torch and the crosshairs will show where the part will begine and end.If there is not enough room or part overlaps other parts, move the torch over re zero x and y then check again.

2. I do make a dry run to make sure I set up my part up right in cam software.Its amazing all the little things I forget.But as I said Im a beginer myself but I learn more everyday.

3.?

Also I'm sure there are better ways to go about this but it works for me.
hope this helps too
FiveORacing
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by FiveORacing »

Thanks guys

3. Just curios how you cut up the skelatal part left over after using up all the sheet??
redneckgateart
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by redneckgateart »

FiveORacing wrote:Thanks guys

3. Just curios how you cut up the skelatal part left over after using up all the sheet??

That's when I break out the handheld plasma torch.....a little cut here....a little cut there...then into the scrap hopper it goes.
richardlw
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by richardlw »

if the area is not to big bolt cutters are handy
FiveORacing
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by FiveORacing »

Thanks guys... I may add a second torch to my collections so I can do some manual cuts. I've only had the table a week and I'm just getting use to it.

Here's my setup so far. It's a BullTear Industries 4 x 8 with a Hypertherm 45. I have some cable management stuff on the way and I'm going to hang some 110 from the ceiling for the table controls.

plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plain ol Bill »

Aw man that shop is far, far too clean (I'm jealous) and far too nice also (more jealousy).
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
Eagle Mtn Metal Works
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Eagle Mtn Metal Works »

Even a big screen TV niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice :lol:

Eagle Mountain Design & Decor
If it's Worth Doing Do it Well
Rod S in (lower AZ)
Rod S in AZ
jeeplogic83
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jeeplogic83 »

That is a nice looking shop, you may want to cover everything you care about once the plasma dust flies :shock:
Jetdctr
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Jetdctr »

This won't help you now, but could be useful in the future.
I picked this tip up from another forum.

1. Set up a filing system, with your cut files matching a code you mark on your material sheet.
2. Save your cut file, then you can pull it up at a later date if you need to cut somethning else from this sheet of material.
3. Resave your file for future use each time.
4. Mark your material in the same corner each time, so you can reload the sheet onto your machine in the same location.

Hopefully this makes sense as written.
FiveORacing
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by FiveORacing »

jeeplogic83 wrote:That is a nice looking shop, you may want to cover everything you care about once the plasma dust flies :shock:

I'm pretty impresed so far with how little dust I see. Granted I've only made about a sheets worth of cuts, but it seems most of it goes in the water.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”