coloring metal

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
glgsales
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

coloring metal

Post by glgsales »

i have this file cut out and want to color it like the pic #1, is this the patina process that is talked about? The spray you get from a glass shop?
Do you heat with a torch first as in the blueing pic #2?

I have seen the instructions here somewhere but i can't find them in a search..anyone have a copy them?
Please pm me if you need to.. what ever way works :)
Thanks
Gary
wolf_head_trio.jpg
three%20wolves.JPG
three%20wolves.JPG (84.68 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: coloring metal

Post by plain ol Bill »

that looks like the copper plate from this source http://metalfinishesplus.com/ They do not sell direct but if you give them a call (their email does not work) they will tell you their closest distributor to them. I use the product and love it - other than using their product I have no connection to them at all.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
glgsales
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by glgsales »

thanks ole bill,
I see they have a spray for damn near every color,which is good but someone said they do this with patina spray after heating up.
We're in the Minneapolis area, south of the river ,so I dont see any suppliers close at that website but someone must have the correct chemicals we need close by.

I wish I knew who posted the brown one so I could ask, that is why I posted the pic with the question...lol

Thanks again Bill

gary
glgsales
plain ol Bill

Post by plain ol Bill »

Gary you CAN get the colors through heating with a torch or some type. BUT - there is always a but isn't there ;) ) you need to practice getting the colors with a torch before starting on a piece you want to sell or even keep. I use heat a lot but when I want an even color I go to the patina finishes.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
steelfx
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by steelfx »

Gary,

The top photo is a piece that I did. I didn't post it but I had emailed it to Jason Henry & i'm guessing he might have.
At any rate, I have the solutions for sale & can walk you through the process. This particular finish only requires two solutions
and a clear-coat. I use Deltron 3000 over a Tie-Bond coat. It's very easy.

Bill, Steel FX
bill@steelf-x.com
glgsales
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by glgsales »

Thanks Bill ,
that would be great, I have been experimenting with the torch this week trying to get a good dark brown. We also don't have a rosebud at the school...lol...it never ends does it!
That being said I did get some really pretty purple and blues as expected, but the brown isn't going to happen,not evenly anyway. We even baked it in an oven for a while and tried. It did get golden colored ,which is pretty nice looking in itself.

I have told the daughter that her christams present will be late , when we get back from our christmas trip to SOCAL I will finish it and send it,until then she gets a picture of it...ha!

I have come to realize that we need to use a chemical process for what you did, we are checking into getting those.
If you have a price breakdown of what we need and how to use it that would be great, because we are using this in a school we will need the MSDS for the chemicals sas well. Safety first here...:)

This would add to our metals class a whole new refinshing process along side ,powder coating , 3 stage paint, air brushing and of course spray cans!

Bill send it to my email address
i will send a pm to you with that info.
Thanks again.
Gary
glgsales

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”