Miller Spectrum 625 x-treme

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Miller Spectrum 625 x-treme

Post by TrinityFabworks »

I have a home built cnc plasma table that I just finished up, and I am running a spectrum 625 xtreme. I have no idea what to use for speeds, pierce height, cut height, or arc voltage. I've got a proma 150 thc. Everything works well, it has a floating head, and touches off before it pierces. I've only been cutting 16 gauge for practice, but will be cutting some thicker material soon. I just wondered if anyone has some basic settings for their miller. I've been cutting 100-120 ipm (I know that this is slow, but I was just trying to make sure that my machine was doing the right thing) I would now like to speed things up. At first I thought that speed was only so the material wouldn't warp. I keep my water level around an inch below the material, and my material doesn't get hot. I've been cutting at 30 amps at 100-120 ipm. I have my proma set at 140 volts and I believe that the plunge rate of the z is set at 20 ipm. The proma has a sensitivity of 8 volts I believe. I'm getting decent cut quality, but I know that it could be better. I'm getting quite a bit of dross on the bottom, but 1/4 of it comes up when I drop it on the floor, and about 1/4 more comes off easily with a chipping hammer the rest is ground off. I'd like to get it so most of it comes off when it is dropped, and the rest easily comes off with a chipping hammer. I know I kind of just ranted, but I wanted to give you as much info as possible. Thanks in advance!
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Miller Spectrum 625 x-treme

Post by weldguy »

If the settings your using now are working well then your off to a good start. If you wish to find the max cut speed for a given material just draw a straight line, turn height control off, and set your cut height manually to around .060" off the material. Now cut some straight lines in mild steel increasing the speed with each cut until the sparks are "trailing" behind the torch a little. With the ideal speed and cut height you should get a very clean cut with little to no dross. If you have a lot of dross your likely going too slow. Once you have determined the best speed turn your height control on and find the arc voltage setting that maintains that .060" cut height at the speed you like and you should be good to go.
npugh
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by npugh »

What are pressure are you running with your Spectrum 625 x-treme? I am also running a Miller Spectrum X-treme 625 with the Ice 40-T torch. I have a premier plasma table and I am having issues cutting anything over about 1/8" mild steel. When I cut 1/4" mild steel I am fighting some angular issues and excessive dross. I feel like the machine is running way to slow, about 25 ipm @ 40 amps but if I speed it up it seems to lose accuracy. Any settings that you have found to work for you?
sethmarks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by sethmarks »

npugh, I have a 625 x-treme as well and I am considering purchasing a premier plasma table. Were you able to work out the issues with the 625 and the premier table?
DezertBlingMoto
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by DezertBlingMoto »

I also have been running a Miller 625 Xtreme , and I will be honest with you I got terrible cuts for the longest while . I recently moved my Torchmate 4X4 and my miller setup , only difference went to tractor bought me a 80 gallon Ingersoll compressor and put a new 3 stage filtration system and also a miller one at the plasma port on the rear . It seems to be cutting a lot better then before I think I'm cutting 1/4" at 38amps and at 55ipm , I haven't attempted anything faster or changed anything . My consumables tend to last at those settings , I must say I don't think its so much all my upgrades I think miller is just not really setup for these plasma tables . I'm waiting for my miller to break so I can move to a real setup (HYPERTHERM) I've seen them cut and miller is running so behind them . Definitely look into changing machines . Just my 2cents
CGT80
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by CGT80 »

I can't help with the 625 settings, but I can second the thought that the xtreme isn't well suited to cnc cutting. I started out with my 375 extreme and was not at all pleased. Even with hand cutting, the thing was under powered for the ratings it had. It has been useful for hand cutting here and there, especially on job sites, in place of a torch, but when I upgraded to a powermax 65 and machine torch it was a new ball game. My air system is a 5hp 80 gallon compressor that averages 20 cfm and provides 135-170 psi up to the regulator, 5 micron filter, and 0.01 micron paper filter, which are located right at the table. Air was not an issue with the miller and it has worked well enough to cut 9/16" plate on the hypertherm. My miller also eats tips like I eat candy (if I don't catch myself and stick to my diet) and miller brand tips are not that much less expensive than the hypertherm.

The miller will let you make some parts, but you will be very happy when you get a hypertherm, so don't put it off longer than you have to.
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by TrinityFabworks »

I've got my machine pretty dialed in. 3/16" cuts like butter. The smoothest cuts I see out of it by far. It cuts with barely any bevel, and it hardly leaves any dross at all. The dross it does leave is like a hair that you just wipe away with your finger. I'll post some pictures of cut quality soon.
Mech_Engineer
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Mech_Engineer »

TrinityFabworks what is your machine speed and torch height for 3/16"? I'm trying to get my table set up with my 625. Please let me know when you have a moment. Thank you.
SignWave
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by SignWave »

I have a spectrum 625 from 2006
using the extended electrode (35amp)
I get: 0.375" AR400 plate. 21 imp @ 0.120" stand off and 38 amps. This is a good start point for a CNC
for 0.25" AR400 plate: 38imp @ 0.100 stand off and 38 amps. outer edge cuts .
for inner cuts on 0.25" AR400 I am not quite 'home' yet but 20 imp 38 amps and 0.100 stand off has shown the best results. It still needs a tweak
all cuts at 75 PSI and atmosphere processs air.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”