PowerMax 85 20GA Cut Settings

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
tylerd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

PowerMax 85 20GA Cut Settings

Post by tylerd »

I do not have a toolset in Sheetcam for 20GA it goes from 22GA up to 18GA. Has anyone used either the 22 or 18 settings on 20GA? I just need to get a relatively clean cut, nothing intricate, a little dross is acceptable. Here are the choices, not much of a change in the settings 1Amp diff between 18 and 22, I was thinking of going with 22. I am cutting 20GA G90 galvanized. Below are the settings, Torch to work distance, Initial pierce height, are the same for both, only difference is pierce delay, and Voltage. Anyone got any input would be great.

Material
Thickness Torchto-Work Distance Initial Pierce Height Pierce Delay Time Cut Speed Voltage
22GA " " 0.0 350 128
18GA " " 0.1 350 129

Thanks!
Bulltear 4x8
PN200 Pendant
Linux Command CNC
Hypertherm PM 85
C&CNC Bladerunner Servo
DTHC IV Feather Touch
HyT-Connect DCP-01
Sheetcam Inkscape QCAD
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: PowerMax 85 20GA Cut Settings

Post by tcaudle »

Since you do not need ANY pierce delay on anything thinner tahn 14ga the only different is 1 volt of Preset and a faster feedrate. 1 volt represnts about .005 pf height difference. your can't set fractional presets anyway. there are other challenges on cutting thinner material . While the chart is a good place to start you will find that you may need to make some modifications. For example your table may not be able to do the cut speeds and hold the accuracy so you have to slow it down. When you do that your voltage will go up and you have to raise the Preset VOlts (target) to hold the proper height. If you have successfully cut 18 ga befire than you will have to make little or no changes. If you have never cut that thin before be prepared to do some test cuts and gather information.
tylerd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: PowerMax 85 20GA Cut Settings

Post by tylerd »

Used the stock 18ga preset in sheetcam, no tweaking, and it cut like a champ! Dross non existent, and that was with 4 90 degree corners! Not sure why I was worried about it.
Bulltear 4x8
PN200 Pendant
Linux Command CNC
Hypertherm PM 85
C&CNC Bladerunner Servo
DTHC IV Feather Touch
HyT-Connect DCP-01
Sheetcam Inkscape QCAD

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”