Improve cut quality on small "X" slot

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
CNCDesignShop
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Improve cut quality on small "X" slot

Post by CNCDesignShop »

Hi everyone. I'm looking for for help from you experts! We're working on a new design for a 3D puzzle. The design will be a hummingbird. See attached pictures.

The problem - our X slots are getting burned out -- resulting in a loose fit. They need to have ~.10" slots. See attached image.

I was thinking we could break the "X" up into 2 or more distinct shapes and cut them at different times (to allow the first cut to cool). Any other ideas?

Notes: the best cut is 45 amp shielded; 137 Volts; .05 cut height, .04 Kerf
Attachments
1526508648091.JPEG.jpg
1526508648135.JPEG.jpg
CNCDesignShop.com - DXF File Downloads for CNC Plasma
We design beautiful art for your CNC machine. We have the largest selection of high quality artwork that is machine tested and guaranteed to work with your CNC plasma machine.
bigforkg
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Improve cut quality on small "X" slot

Post by bigforkg »

Did you get it figured out? Im having similar problems.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Maybe finecut consumables.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

I think you re asking too much for an air plasma to "machine" a slot .1 wide. Just passing two cuts that close to each other (center of the flames will be a full kerf width in from the outside edge) So if you have a .040 kerf your inside gap will be about .060. The result will be in the flame bending and trying to arc over to the other side. You will get variable and unpredictable results. Voltage will bounce around and cause the THC to be confused so it needs to be off. You have to realize that plasma cutting is a process of an arc heating the metal so quickly part of it vaporizes and plowing it out with compressed wire . Its not a precision process. You can get the results you want with a waterjet or laser.
Unvevo
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Unvevo »

I made a cross thats .08 wide and cut it at 145ipm. I have a hypertherm 45xp with reg consumables.
Attachments
20180730_163439.jpg

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”